5 Movies You Need to Watch ASAP

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

There are so many movies out there that hold incredible meanings and are real tear-jerkers. These five movies are some of the best I’ve seen.

1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is one of my all time favorite movies. It has such a great meaning. The movie tells the story of Charlie, a young boy in high school who tries to navigate all the aspects of high school for the first time, like drinking, drugs, and sex. This movie tells everyone that it is okay to be different. There’s nothing wrong with not fitting in. It shows that even the underdogs can have the time of their lives. This movie is a true inspiration for anyone that feels that they don’t fit into society’s standard mold.

2. Dead Poets Society

Dead Poets Society dives into the world of all the greatest poets. It features a teacher’s unique teaching methods and shows the audience that giving up is never an option. No matter how hard life is, there’s always a new perspective you could take on it. The teacher’s determination to teach his students something that matters is so incredible and worthy of a share.

3. The Breakfast Club

Of course, The Breakfast Club is a classic so everyone should have seen it by now, but in case you haven’t, this movie follows the journey of five complete strangers as they try to make the best out of a Saturday detention. Unlikely friendships emerge, and it shows that not everyone is who they seem to be on the outside. A lot of people live in a facade and this movie proves that you should never judge a book by it’s cover. Someone’s life may be completely different than what they want people to see.

4. Mr. Holland’s Opus

My band teacher from high school made us watch Mr. Holland’s Opus at the end of every year, and I am so thankful for it. The movie taught me so much about sticking to what I want to accomplish. It proved that you should never give up on your dreams, because there are so many people out there to support you. Even when it seems pointless and impossible to keep trying, you should always strive to reach your goals. It’s a must see.

5. Pay It Forward

This is a serious tear-jerker. It has an amazing message about how helping others can inspire a world of happiness, and inspire other people to be a better version of themselves. This movie follows a young boy as he tries to change his community. By “paying it forward,” he inspires other people to do the same. On the other hand, you better have your tissues ready. This movie will for sure make you cry. This is a very small list compared to all the incredible movies out there, but these are some of the movies that have made an impact in the way I view life and the way I think about things. I definitely recommend all of these movies, because they have a special place in my heart. Who knows, maybe you’ll end up loving them as much as I do.

Jordyn is a Biology major with a minor in creative writing at SUNY Oswego. She hopes to open a rehabilitation center for wildlife in the future. She's very passionate about animals and spreading awareness for animal rights. She also enjoys drawing and painting.
Katie Short

Oswego '18

Katie is a recent graduate of SUNY Oswego, where she double-majored in Creative Writing and Political Science and a minor in Journalism. She was the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Oswego as well as a Chapter Advisor. Katie hopes to get a job in writing, editing or social media.