10 Mac Miller Songs Everyone Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

A few months ago, music lost one of hip-hop’s most talented and innovative rappers yet — Mac Miller. Since his untimely and drug-fueled death, musicians including John Mayer, Vince Staples, Ariana Grande, The Internet, and so many others have spoken about the impact Miller had on their lives. His family has since set up a foundation celebrating his musical influence, The Mac Miller Circles Fund; an effort to benefit inner-city arts and community building. On Oct. 31, Miller’s friends and family held Mac Miller: A Celebration of Life, a concert both honoring his demise and the foundation. A multitude of artists, musicians, loved ones and family members made appearances, all paying homage to the rapper. If you, like many others, hadn’t heard much of Miller’s music until his death, that’s okay — now is as good a time as any to familiarize yourself with his lengthy discography. Here are 10 songs to start you off.

Side-note: this list excludes many of his mixtapes that are harder to find online, but are still worth the listen. This man made so much music that it’s genuinely overwhelming.

1.Kool Aid and Frozen Pizza

This track is off of Miller’s first major record label mixtape, “K.I.D.S.” At only 18 years old, “Kool Aid and Frozen Pizza” is a clear representation of how talented Miller was. The mixtape, inspired by Larry Clark’s controversial movie “Kids,” chronicles a young, teenage version of Miller; one that was solely concerned with skipping class, smoking weed and embracing his youth. Although the lyrics aren’t particularly groundbreaking, “Kool Aid and Frozen Pizza” is not only an important part of his career but reminds listeners of the naivety and immaturity Miller once obtained.

2. PA Nights

“PA Nights” is from 2011’s “Blue Slide Park,” Miller’s first official album. There’s an obvious maturity in the tracks off of this album versus his prior five (that’s right, five) mixtapes. “PA Nights” is a slight ode to Miller’s hometown of Pittsburgh, but exudes twinges of bittersweet nostalgia. It’s not exactly an upbeat, happy song, but more so an orchestrated combination of talented producing and reminiscent lyrics.

3. Thoughts from a Balcony

Miller’s 2012 mixtape “Macadelic” is a painful look into the emotional issues he so often suffered from. “Thoughts from a Balcony” is no exception to the, for lack of a better description, depressing undertones of the mixtape. This song, in particular, gives listeners a peek into Miller’s unfortunate drug addiction. The lyrics question reality and Miller’s life, and despite its upsetting content, is essential when attempting to understand the rapper’s legacy.

4. Small Worlds

“Small Worlds” was released as a trio of singles Miller suddenly posted over the summer, prior to the announcement of his last album, “Swimming.” Other than the fact that John Mayer lends his guitar talents to the song, there really shouldn’t be any other reason for why this song kills it.

5. In the Morning (feat. Syd and Thundercat)

“In the Morning” is a bonus track from Miller’s live album featuring The Internet, “Live from Space.” There isn’t anything that makes this song particularly special besides the actual musical content, as well as the features. Syd from The Internet and bass extraordinaire Thundercat both lend their talents to make “In the Morning” that much better. Bonus: both parties were best friends of Miller and continue to carry on his legacy.  

6. Perfect Circle / God Speed

It’s worth mentioning that “Perfect Circle / God Speed” is all too similar to “Thoughts from a Balcony.” The gist of the song hinges on Miller’s drug-related realizations — meaning that, at the time of 2015’s “GO:OD AM,” he was deeply aware of the hurt he was causing not only himself, but those around him, by refusing to get help for his addictions. The lyrics are painful to listen to, especially when he mentions the possibility of his friends having to tell his mom about a potential overdose. Again, despite the sensitive nature of the song, it provides a look into Miller’s innerworkings, especially when his music will solely carry on his legacy now.

7. Best Day Ever

“Best Day Ever,” the lead single from Miller’s fifth mixtape of the same name, rests on similarly nostalgic vibes from 2011’s “Blue Slide Park.” This song is frequently referred to as one of Miller’s best, mainly due to its simplicity and cheery lyrics. Listening back now, “Best Day Ever” is perhaps the best portrayal of Miller: A happy-go-lucky kid trying to enjoy his life to the best of his abilities.

8. Dang! (feat. Anderson.Paak)

“Dang!”, the lead single off of 2016’s “The Divine Feminine” is not only 5 minutes and 5 seconds of pure perfection, but a representation of a new era for Miller. Whether it was fueled by his extremely public relationship or his newfound journey with sobriety, “The Divine Feminine” is a beautiful ode to love and lust and “Dang!” was the perfect entryway.

9. What’s the Use?

Released just this past summer, “What’s the Use?” was the second single from Miller’s last project, “Swimming.” This track is an amazing example of how incredibly talented he was — it’s a glimpse into the funkier, fun side of his songs. Much of “Swimming” itself relies heavily on similarly eccentric tracks, therefore making it that much better of an album.

10. 2009

In all honesty, I had a really hard time trying to decide which songs from “Swimming” would be included on this list. That’s probably since it was his last project and it held an enormous amount of significance for not only him, but his fans. Since this album was supposed to represent something starkly different than his death, I would recommend listening to the album in its entirety. “2009” is an incredibly painful song to listen to now since the lyrics detail Miller’s acceptance of his former addictions and demons and his newfound devotion to moving forward into a healthier lifestyle. Yes, it makes me cry every time, but that’s not important.

Honorable Mentions:

Soulmate

Loud (although I’m sure every college student has heard this at one point or another)

My Favorite Part (feat. Ariana Grande)

Ladders

I Am Who Am (Killin’ Time)

Cinderella

Hurt Feelings

Watching Movies

Weekend (feat. Miguel)

Melissa Lee

Oswego '19

CC Melissa is a senior journalism major with a double minor in creative writing and political science at SUNY Oswego. She loves music, makeup, dogs, and napping. 95% of the time she can be found drinking way too much coffee or finding new music on Spotify.