10 Holiday Movies to Binge Watch During Winterbreak

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oswego chapter.

With the holidays just around the corner, it’s finally time to grab a comfy blanket, a mug of hot cocoa, and watch a Christmas classic to get in the spirit! These movies below are my personal favorites that always get me hyped for the season.

1. A Year Without a Santa Claus

I watch this movie almost everyday of the holiday season. The songs in this animated classic are just so catchy, and it brings me back to my childhood, to when I would sit down and watch it with my dad. The best characters are by far Heat Miser and Snow Miser with their constant rivalry, and it makes me think of my older sister, or even my mother and I constantly getting fussy with each other during this time of year. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys classic holiday films!

2. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

This is another classic that everyone should have seen by now, unless they are young children. The animation style is just so adorable in my opinion, especially Rudolph and Clarice! Hermey’s struggle to become an elven dentist is absolutely relatable to every college student. It’s also a great way to teach children to not be ashamed of who they are, and proud to be unique.

3. National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

The Griswold family and their constant misfortune at the hands of Clark, the father of the group, as he attempts to get ready to celebrate the holiday with his entire family, including his in-laws. There is also a relatable aspect, as Clark believes he is getting a bonus at work in the form of cash, and plans to build a pool in the backyard of his home, but is instead given a membership to the “Jelly of the Month Club” by his cheap boss. The entire film is just a hilarious journey into the Griswolds insane holiday traditions.

4. Frosty the Snowman​

This classic is another movie that almost everyone should have seen by now, and the titular theme song is one that we’ve sung around the house since we were in grade school. The story of Frosty and his magic hat that brings him to life is such a great way to get into the spirit of this time of year, even if you don’t have any snow to build a snowman with. I am also just infatuated with the animation style, as it’s so colorful and happy, and really makes you feel like a kid again.

5. Mickey’s Christmas Carol

This movie is the retelling of the tale of Ebenezer Scrooge, but is portrayed Scrooge “McDuck” (aka Donald), and includes Mickey and the gang. Scrooge travels into the past, present and future with his spiritual guides in another movie that everyone has seen some iteration of, but this one is by far my favorite! Being a Disney fanatic at heart, if there’s any holiday I can use as an excuse to watch a Disney movie I will gladly do so. Young children can also enjoy seeing their favorite mouse and friends telling this classic tale in their own fantastic way.

6. Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town

Yet another classic that everyone has seen or at the very least heard of, as it tells the story of how Kris Kringle became the holly jolly man we knew growing up. We learn the origin of the holiday and its traditions, how he met the future Mrs. Claus, and how he acquired his magic reindeer he uses to fly around the world every Christmas Eve. The songs from this film are also insanely catchy, and get stuck in my head constantly – which I am always glad about during the holiday season. This is an absolute must watch for everyone of all ages.

7. How the Grinch Stole Christmas

The live action recreation of Dr. Suess’s classic story of the Grinch and his hatred of Whoville and their holiday celebrations. Jim Carrey’s portrayal of this iconic character is spot on and comical – as is Jim Carrey in any role he plays. Max, his dog, is also such an adorable edition since he is just dragged into all of the Grinch’s schemes to ruin the holiday for the Whos. Little Cindy Lou Who hopes to change the Grinch’s mind about their celebrations, and ultimately gets his heart to grow three sizes and to finally join the festivities. It is just so adorable to watch!

8. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and the Island of Misfit Toys  

This movie is one I was obsessed with when I was growing up, but surprisingly a lot of people have either never heard of it or never watched it. Rudolph and his friends go on a quest to get back the Misfit Toys from the “Toy Taker” who has been kidnapping them from the Island of Misfit Toys. The music is just as awesome and as catchy as the first, especially the Toy Takers song. The change in animation style is really amazing and I definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn’t seen it yet!

9. The Polar Express

This is another must watch for absolutely everyone, if not for the great story, then for the fantastic soundtrack. Great songs include “Hot Chocolate” and Josh Groban’s song “Believe” that I love to listen to on Christmas Eve when I’m decorating the house for guests. My family grew up loving this movie, so this was a must-watch in my home. A must watch at least once this season!

10. Elf

This movie is the embodiment of the season! Will Ferrell’s character of Buddy the Elf has become a symbol of this time of year, becoming a holiday meme that is constantly shared around social media. Buddy’s love of the festivities is relatable on so many levels, especially for myself since I am a fellow Christmas lover, as this is my favorite time of year. The Hobbs family are another part of this movie that is relevant, since we all know at least one person who is a scrooge during the holiday season. Overall, Elf is a newer classic that deserves to be watched every day of this month.

Katie Short

Oswego '18

Katie is a recent graduate of SUNY Oswego, where she double-majored in Creative Writing and Political Science and a minor in Journalism. She was the Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Oswego as well as a Chapter Advisor. Katie hopes to get a job in writing, editing or social media.