Wisdom from @snglegrlprblms on Twitter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

If you’re a single college girl on Twitter, chances are you have definitely heard about, retweeted and laughed at the whimsical tweets of @snglegrlprblms. Tweeting about everything from her love of cats to her awkward encounters with men at bars, @snglegrlprblms makes navigating the dating scene whirlwind a little easier. And, of course, the fact that she’s from Ohio makes her that much better!

HC: Having 140,000 followers on Twitter is no small feat.  Tell us about your account.

SGP: I believe I started in November of 2010. Started off slowly, but have steadily grown since, especially over the last six months. I started it because I would laugh at other anon accounts—specifically @whitegrlproblem—and think, “Hmm, I could do that.” There were so many ridiculous things to share regarding the guys I would fall for (or hookup with), or the lonely nights at home. I felt the need to share my mishaps with other single girls—or anyone who would listen and laugh at my expense … I think what separates me from the pack is my total honesty. I really do tweet about my life. No shame.  

HC: With 140,000 followers, it must be hard to keep this account anonymous.  Do any of your friends or family know about this account?

SGP: Oh, man. It is SO hard. Yes, my mother knows I have it. However, she doesn’t understand Twitter and has never read it (THANK GOD).  Some of my closest friends know and I know that some people have spilled the beans to people they’ve dated, which really irks me. The worst was when a guy I was seeing caught me updating it. He claimed he would never check it, but I still got a little censored there for a minute! Then I thought, “Hey, if he can’t like me for me, screw him!” I’m sure someday I could come forward, if there was a real reason or special opportunity to. I’d like to remain anonymous for as long as I can, though. Well, as anonymous as I am now. 

HC: Congratulations on your new online store!  What kind of merchandise do you carry?

SGP: Right now, I carry a variety of things inspired by my account, such as tees, hoodies, tanks, totes (great for school!), and, of course, the ever-cute booty short. I mean, what girl doesn’t want to wear undies that say “single” on them? Guaranteed to snag you a man … or just another cat. Either way, it’s a win! Some of my favorite designs are: “My cat is my best friend,” and my tag line, “No, really. I’m fine. Do you have any vodka?”

As far as the store goes, I’m trying to expand as much as possible so new things will be popping up regularly. My goal is to one day have more control over pricing and do my own distribution through a trusted local company and such, but for now, sites like Spreadshirt make it easy for someone like me to begin to get their merch out there until I can save money and really get my business going someday **fingers crossed**. 

HC: Finish this sentence. Through Twitter, I have…

SGP: Learned to love myself more. It’s funny that by being anonymous, I have actually learned more about who I am. Knowing I’m not alone in the world of singledom is great. It can also remind me sometimes that my life is pretty awesome. I am essentially keeping somewhat of a diary online that hopefully I can look back at someday. The ability to make someone else laugh is an amazing gift. I wish I would have done something like this sooner. I read every message and reply that I receive, and just knowing I have made someone’s day really brightens mine, as well. So do the cat pictures!

HC: Being from the Buckeye State yourself, have you ever been to Columbus or Ohio State?

SGP: Well ,of course I have been! Can I tell you exactly what I did or where I went? No. I went a few times, years ago, in my early 20s and most of those nights (if not all) are a drunken blur. Oh, college. I was actually there last summer to see Journey and Foreigner, though! THAT was amazing. I will, however, DEFINITELY say GO BUCKS!

HC: What happens when you get a boyfriend?! Will @snglegrlprblms become @takengrlprblms or will we have to throw a going-away party complete with Ryan Gosling cutout? 

SGP: I’m willing to even fake retire for 24 hours JUST for the Gosling cutout … But really. I’m not sure. Who’s to say I’ve never once been exclusive with someone over the last 20 months…? You’ll never know! I hope this account can last for a long time, though, even if one day, I have to pass the reigns over to someone new. The nice thing is that many things I post aren’t simply single girl related. Any girl can relate. Any girl who has ever overeaten wheat thins, consumed wine after a long day, dated a horrible guy, or felt like her pets were her best friends can easily enjoy my account. That’s the great thing about it. It’s relatable. I get messages from girls with boyfriends saying they refuse to stop following simply because they have a boyfriend now. Even a taken girl can appreciate Olympic male bodies and wine!

HC: Having so much Twitter success yourself, do you have any advice for future anonymous accounts?

SGP: BE HONEST. Be open. Be yourself. Don’t only post cheesy taglines, jokes, and gimmicks. Sometimes, if not most, it’s the real life stuff that people relate to and enjoy the most. Also, be patient. Success doesn’t happen overnight. It requires more time and effort than anyone believes it will going into it. It is fun, but it’s also a job in itself. You can only take out as much as you give in. 

Failing to Mingle,

SGP

Make sure to check out @snglegrlprblms on Twitter (https://twitter.com/snglegrlpr…) and check out her new online store (http://singlegirlproblems.spreadshirt.com) for all your single girl gear!

Photo Source: https://si0.twimg.com/profile_…