Why a Big Brother is a Girl’s Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

For those of us who have older brothers, we all know they are a major pain in the butt. Like, why is it necessary for them to cover your head with a bag or destroy your Barbie dolls? Yes, they are a pain and I know this from personal experience since I have two older brothers.

As we grew up, something changed, and now they are always there for me, as I’m sure all your brothers are there for you. What does my experience of growing up with brothers have to do with anything? Well, one of them is getting married now and life is about to change, so I can’t help but look back at what my oldest brother has taught me. And here’s what I’ve found:

Like any other little kid, I was told the carpet in the living room was lava and in order to stay alive I must jump from pillow to pillow like a leap frog.

The vent above my bed that connected my room to my brothers’ was how the monsters communicated with me.

Once we were a little older, he began to teach me that I was worth more than I ever could have imagined. Every brother looks out for their sister, knowing that each person you meet is going to change your life in some way and he needs to make sure you don’t get hurt in the process.

The most important thing an older brother can teach you is to have fun! They remind you not to take things so seriously all the time and that it is okay to step back and just be you. I know my brother said to me one day that if someone could not accept me for who I am then I don’t need them because there are many people who love me for me. That, right there, is possibly the best advice he has ever given me. Sure, it is advice you hear all the time, but sometimes you just need a little reminder.

While many people will come in and out of your life, an older brother is forever. He is the person who will take your hand and help you cross the street. He is the person who showed you what a real friend is truly like. He is the person you want to be like, but he is also the kind of person who steps in and reminds you to follow your own path too.

So, to my brother who is about to get married, your life is about to change and so is mine, but I hope you will always remember that if you ever need someone to hold your hand across the lava or scare the monsters in the vent, I am always here. And to the girl who is about to make an honest man out of my brother, please make sure he stays true to himself.   

English major at The Ohio State University