ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ferdinand stohr NFs6dRTBgaM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

We Need to Talk About Periods, Period.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Here’s an interesting fact: currently, more states tax tampons than candy. Seem unfair? I agree. If an item is considered a necessity, it is typically exempt from tax. These items include prescription drugs, some over-the-counter medicines, groceries, even Rogaine. Yet, in the majority of states tampons are still considered a “luxury” item. The New York State Department of Taxes and Finance says “feminine hygiene” products like tampons and sanitary napkins are subject to sales tax because they are “generally used to control a normal bodily function and to maintain personal cleanliness.” Don’t worry, though, your sugar addiction is covered.

The Tampon Tax

On November 7th, Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine signed a measure to repeal Ohio’s sales tax on tampons and other feminine hygiene products, making Ohio the 12th state to put an end to the “pink” tax. While we are making moves in the right direction, we have a long way to go. According to writer and strategist Dasha Burns, people who menstruate spend about $70 per year on tampons and sanitary pads. Then, multiply that by 40 years, and that’s a whole lot of money on periods. “For low income, women access to these ‘luxury’ goods can be a real challenge, especially since food stamps don’t cover feminine hygiene products.”

Not everyone agrees with the tampon tax being repealed, though. In fact, Aunt Flow, a company dedicated to “ensuring everyone has access to menstrual products,” has a different point of view. According to intern, Brooke Crockett, “Aunt Flow actually supports the tampon tax because they believe the money from taxes should be used to provide freely accessible pads and tampons. No one should have to pay $11 when they get their period in public unexpectedly.”

Whether or not you support the tampon tax, one thing is for sure: tampons need to be more accessible for women in the United States. “I believe that any location open to the public, be it a school, shelter, church, gym, etc. should offer menstrual products alongside their toilet paper. Anywhere that toilet paper is offered for free, menstrual products should be offered for free,” says Alyssa Bowles, period activist.

Period Poverty

When I was in high school, I went downtown with some friends for dinner. Growing up in the suburbs outside of Cincinnati, I rarely encountered homeless people, however, in downtown, they are common. While there, a homeless woman approached me. I thought she was going to ask for money, and I was trying to prepare how I would say no. She surprised me, though. All she wanted was a tampon. Before this, I never thought of feminine hygiene products as a luxury item. They were something I never had to worry about. Unfortunately, that is not the case for a lot of women.

According to the 2017 Annual Homeless Assessment Report (AHAR) to congress, there are approximately 215,000 homeless women in the United States. For many homeless women, buying tampons means skipping their next meal, which is not always an option. Instead, these women have to get creative. Some use socks, napkins, toilet paper and even plastic bags. This is unsanitary and can have serious health complications such as toxic shock syndrome. This struggle is a worldwide phenomenon known as “period poverty.”

“Menstruation can be a source of immense stress, especially for those in poverty. Menstrual hygiene is often sacrificed for people who live in shelters and are unable to access free or affordable sanitary menstrual products and resort to wadding up the toilet paper, or creating another makeshift barrier between the source of the bleeding and their exterior clothing,” Bowles explains.

Why is this so important?

Period poverty is not only stressful but also extremely embarrassing. Periods are a private situation and considered taboo in our society. Because of this, women who cannot afford menstrual products are often subject to public scrutiny and ridicule. The United Nations Girls Education Initiative estimates that girls miss nearly two and a half weeks a year due to periods. It’s shameful enough not having menstrual products on you when you get your period. It’s even worse not being able to afford them.

“To knowingly allow another person to suffer through intense discomfort and humiliation by ridding her of a product her body potentially needs, we ignore basic human rights. We shrug our shoulders to those outside our own problems and place worth on human beings. In a world where people of a lower economic demographic suffer so much already, it is despicable to take away their biological right to free (or affordable) reproduction resources,” expresses feminist, Maris Bucci.

How can you raise awareness? 

There are tons of different ways to support this issue and raising awareness is one of the best ways to do so. Just starting a conversation can lessen the “menstrual taboo.” Even if it starts within your community, eventually it could garner more attention. “Don’t be afraid to just talk about it with your friends, family, even strangers,” encourages Bowles.  “The more people that know about the injustices that people within our community have to face, the more attention the topic will get via local and state representatives. Eventually, we can influence a political discussion about ending period poverty.”

If you want to do even more to help, you can always donate menstrual products to your local homeless shelter. According to Brittany Lally, who works at Choices, a shelter for victims of domestic violence in Columbus, they always provide menstrual products for their residents. In order to do so, they need donations. If you want to donate to Choices, you can learn more on their website.

There are several other organizations that are already doing amazing things to end period poverty. Many of these websites offer ideas about how to get involved.  Learn more and start the conversation.

Most women in the United States understand the burden of getting your period. It’s inconvenient, it can be painful and typically it’s just plain annoying. However, for homeless women, getting their period can be crippling. Often times these women do not have access to menstrual products and have to give up other necessities just to cope. Can you imagine if you had to give up meals for a week, just so you could buy tampons? Menstrual products should be provided to women for free. No woman asked to have a period, yet, all women are paying the hefty price that comes with it. It is time to bring light to this situation and eliminate the “menstrual taboo.” Together, let’s help women, everywhere!

Rachel Rothstein is a Senior at The Ohio State University majoring in Strategic Communication and minoring in Psychology and Professional Writing. Rachel hopes to work at PR agency when she graduates. She is passionate about travel and wants to work in the travel and tourism industry someday! She even has her own travel blog (www.theblushingbrunetteblog.wordpress.com). When she's not dreaming about traveling, she enjoys reading, hanging out with her friends and binge-watching Netflix. Follow her on insta @rachrothstein.