Vicki Fetterman: Bleeding Scarlet and Gray from PA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Name: Vicki FettermanYear:  JuniorMajor:  Psychology with Minors in HDFS and Disability StudiesHometown: Murrysville, PAHobbies: Subtly trying to steal strangers dogs on the oval

HC: How has being an out-of-state student affected you?

VF: Being an out of state student is definitely a unique experience. People complain about how often they see people from their high school, but that never happens for me. This definitely allowed me to step out of my comfort zone and try new things. I couldn’t be shy and rely on friendships from high school and was really forced to get involved on campus. I think my college experience is richer because I am from out of state.

HC: What are you involved in at Ohio State?

VF: Athletic Hosting, University Hosting, OUAB, Advocates for Children and Education Scholars, College Mentors for Kids, Fine By Me and Mortar Board. I also work in a research lab, at the OSU childcare program, and am an RA.

HC: What’s the best part about being an RA?

VF: I never expected the amazing friendships that I would make as an RA. I knew I would get along with my staff, but I never knew I would meet some people that I can say made the biggest impact on my life. There are people that I never would have befriended had I not been on staff with them, and now I couldn’t imagine my life without them. Not only that, but I have formed so many wonderful friendships with my residents. I went into being an RA saying that I would never be a friend with my residents, but it’s impossible to avoid that. I have so much love for them and know that these friendships will continue past the RA/resident relationship.

HC: Tell us about your recent Buck-i-Serv trip!

VF: You know how people say that they met some of their best friends on a Buck-i-SERV trip and that it completely changed their lives? And you know how when they say that you just roll your eyes and think they’re being dramatic? I’m here to tell you it really is true, though! I went on a trip with 47 strangers to Americus, Georgia knowing that we would be helping the people of that town. I left with 47 friends and the people of Americus changed me. They say that there is a Buck-i-SERV bug and that once you go on one trip you can’t avoid going on another, and that is definitely true. I’m already looking forward to the next trip that I will get to go on!

HC: How do you stay sane and balance all of your commitments?

VF: I take a deep breath and keep on chugging. I’m really not that busy. There are amazing people at this University that do a ton more than I do, and they keep it all together, so that gives me inspiration to keep on going. I am addicted to my checklist. I have a general checklist of all of the big assignments and events for a month, and then create a more customized checklist each week. That way, my commitments are not just sitting on my brain stressing me out, and it feels sooo good when I get to cross something off.

HC: What would your advice be for freshman who are looking to get more involved?

VF: Just do it. I was so scared to get involved because I felt like I wouldn’t get into the organizations I applied for or was worried I wouldn’t make any friends in those organizations. You will never know if you don’t try! If you are interested in an organization, learn how you can become involved and go for it. If you focus on involvement that you are passionate about, you will never feel like it’s an obligation, but instead something that you will look forward to each week.

HC: What are your plans after graduation?

VF: If I ignore the identity crisis that I had today where I reevaluated my life goals for a few hours, then I am pretty set on my post-graduation plans. I plan to pursue a Masters of Social Work in hopes to one day provide counseling for children in the foster care system. I think I’m going to look south…unless someone can promise me that a winter like we had this year will never happen again.

I am a senior at The Ohio State University majoring in Communication and minoring in Theatre. After graduation, I will pursue a career in Public Relations and Event Planning.