Turn Your Apartment Into the Coziest Fall Abode

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

So let me start this off by saying that I am so unimaginably excited fall is here!

I know, I know, you’ve been hearing every single girl around campus saying that for two weeks now. Well, I get to be a little extra annoying about it because this is only my second fall ever!

Hailing from South Florida, I never got to experience fall until last year. Now that I can, I want to enjoy it as much as possible while it’s here!

So, the obvious things first, the leaves are incredible. I love that I can pull out my chunky sweaters, plaid scarves and dark nail polish. Finally, everyone is getting almost as much Starbucks as I do year-round. But I think the best part about fall is bringing the joy of it indoors. Fall outdoors is characterized by crisp air, warm colors, crunchy leaves and a hot latte in your hand (yes, exactly, more Starbucks). Fall indoors is all about dim lighting, candles everywhere, plaid blankets and fuzzy pillows, and curling up with a good book or hot cocoa. So here’s a list of a few of my favorite things you can do to cozy up your fall abode.

• Candles. They are such an effective way to bring the coziness of fall indoors, because candles provide both lighting and scent. On fall nights, I like to turn off all the lights and just light candles: it creates the perfect, dim, flickering lighting and the scents provide a whole new dimension of relaxation and comfort. Just make sure not to mix too many different scents; unscented candles are always an option as well.  My current favorite fall candle is Grey Flannel, from the Chesapeake Bay Candle Collection; it’s not too strong and it honestly smells like fall sweaters (I know it makes no sense, I just can’t describe it!). You can’t come home to a nice warm apartment smelling like Grey Flannel and be upset: you just can’t.

•   Blankets and Pillows.  The perfect fall themed dwelling is all about coziness and every part of the home looking inviting. A great way to accomplish this is by adding lots of pillows and blankets to every couch, bed and recliner in your place. Plaid blankets look great on solid colored couches or beds, and pillows with a fuzzy exterior are really unique, and look stunning.

•  Little trinkets. So trinkets are a little silly because they are practically useless, aside from their use as decoration. Trinkets are things like candle holders, or little porcelain pumpkins, that kind of thing. For me, having little things to add character to my place makes me happy, so they’re worth it. But if you think they’re stupid, I understand. Places like Pier 1 Imports have great little trinkets, albeit a little overpriced. I think the best way to accumulate trinkets is to find Pinterest tutorials for them. There are tons, you just have to do a little searching! One that I’m planning to try this weekend is for little, sparkly painted pumpkins– they’ll go perfectly on our coffee table. By making them yourself, you not only feel like a craft god, but it’s also really fun to do with roommates on those chilly weekends when you’re too lazy to leave the apartment.