Top-rated Coffee Shops for Diligent Studying and People Watching

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

By: Liz Dickey

If you’re socially awkward and shy in uncomfortable settings, then you probably understand how stressful finding a new coffee shop can be. When you have a lot of work ahead of you, staying home in your flannel pajamas is just so convenient, but who is holding you accountable when you take an hour-long study break awing at puppies on Google images? There also isn’t a stranger peering over your shoulder from the table diagonally to your left laughing at your reaction to the YouTube video of the cat trying to squeeze itself into a tiny box. If done right, your coffee shop will keep you working hard and feeling right at home, except that you’ll be wearing pants and you’ll have better drink options.

As a coffee lover, I’ve ventured into every coffee shop on campus and beyond. I always take note of the atmosphere, the crowd, the regular coffee, the fancy drinks and the “familiarity” factor. Once you decide on your new coffee shop, are the baristas going to remember your favorite drink? If you want a coffee shop like Central Perk in Friends, this factor will really make or break your experience.

I’ve narrowed down my search to three coffee shops and, depending on my mood, I always end up at one of the following:

Cup o’ Joe: The Cup o’ Joe in Clintonville is perfect. There’s always a seat outside on a nice day and the cozy fireplace inside will warm you when the weather begins to change. It’s the best way to comfortably write a paper while stocking up on some Vitamin D before winter, and the people watching will give your brain a rest whenever you’re in need of a break. The crowd is an excellent mixture of students, professors, and Columbus residents looking for great conversation and an occasional smoke. The outdoor seating of Cup o’ Joe is smoker friendly, and can be a sure negative if you don’t enjoy smelling like smoke the rest of the day. The baristas are friendly and make a mean cup of Joe, which is by far my favorite thing on the menu.

Luck Bros: A quick ten-minute trip down Fifth Ave. will land you in Grandview, my favorite suburb of Columbus. If you’ve never been, I highly recommend spending a few hours touring the shops on Fifth and ending your visit with Luck Bros for the best cup of coffee in the city. The atmosphere is great for studying, catching up with an old friend, or just contemplating life after graduation. The Vietnamese is my favorite drink so far, and is a sure pick-me-up on a sleepy day. It’s composed of two shots of espresso, Snowville milk (produced in Ohio), half and half, and simple syrup—the barista could only describe it as a “coffee milkshake,” but better. There are plenty of tables inside, but outdoor seating is limited. This is the kind of coffee shop that makes me want to slip into my favorite oversized sweater and read Ralph Waldo Emerson poetry.

Stauf’s Coffee Roasters: No matter the time of day, Stauf’s is always full of life. Another Grandview gem, Stauf’s roasts all of its coffee in house. It’s always hard to find a table, even with the large amount of outdoor seating. Their regular cup of coffee is very strong, so I recommend going smaller, if at all possible. They have a wide variety of homemade desserts and a few special entrees on the menu every day. Of all the coffee shops in the Columbus area, Stauf’s is always the place to be. 

Photo Source: Stauf’s Coffee Roasters in Grandview; http://Breakfastwithnick.wordpress.com

Kali Grant is the founding Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for the OSU chapter of Her Campus. Kali is pursuing a B.A. in Public Affairs at the John Glenn School with a minor in Communication and is excited to be in her senior year. Kali is a student research assistant at the Glenn School and is a proud member of the Zeta Alpha chapter of Chi Omega. Kali has spent her collegiate summers interning with The Institute on Women and The Salvation Army and studying Spanish in Buenos Aires, Argentina. When she’s not daydreaming about returning to New Orleans and San Francisco, Kali loves drinking coffee, talking about cats and politics, and trying out questionable vegetarian recipes.