This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Let me be the first to say congratulations! I know it may not feel like an accomplishment and moving on is hard, but but healing from a breakup will help set you down a new path. As a newly single lady, I’m here with some tips for cherishing this new time in your life and adjusting to single life.

Create New habits

After a breakup, remembering the way you did things pre-relationship might feel impossible. Try creating new habits and rituals to do every day, at least for the first couple of weeks. Get ice cream every Wednesday from your favorite ice cream place, join a new cycling class or make dinner plans with your friends every weekend. The world is your oyster! After my breakup, my favorite new habit was to make my own coffee. I loved setting up the Keurig and getting the ice cubes and oat milk all ready. It made my day go by with a feeling of purpose and added a sense of control back into my life.

Express yourself

The best way to let your frustration our is to get your feelings into the real world. Keeping them in your head can make you feel isolated (and also slightly crazy). This doesn’t always have to mean writing in a journal, you can express yourself through listening to music, reading books that you feel reflect your situation or even talking to your friends. For me, I would pair my new habit of making coffee with reading books like “The Bell Jar”, and “My Year of Rest and Relaxation” that helped me translate my thoughts and emotions into the real world. The more you express yourself, the better you’ll understand that what you’re feeling is normal and how, at the end of the day, your heartbreak will help you grow as a person.

treat yourself

Some say retail therapy doesn’t actively solve problems, but buying a few new things here and there for yourself can’t hurt. Treat yourself to a new outfit, favorite dessert, or an experience you’ve always wanted to try. If you’re down in the dumps, a package on your front door might just knock you into a happier mood.

be your favorite person

At the end of the day, this is a time of self-discovery and it doesn’t last forever, so take advantage of this moments of singleness. Do things just for yourself because you deserve it. Pull yourself up and be the person you want to be. Relationships are fun, but your relationship status is not a measure of who you are as a person. Your self worth is what’s important. Use your alone time to focus on you and the activities you enjoy. Before you know it, the post-breakup pain with be gone and you’ll be truly ready to move on.

This is the perfect time to understand the extents of your newfound freedom. Take things day by day and realize that there’s no time limit to heal. While being in a relationship is fun, having an SO doesn’t need to be your end goal.

Hi :) I'm Gabrielle! I'm a second year Marketing Major, minoring in English. My favorite things are reading, drinking iced lattes with oat milk, and watching Claire Saffitz's Youtube videos!