Sibs and Kids Weekend Preview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Whether your brother, sister, or kid is coming for a visit or you’re just eager to have some fun, this weekend will be jam-packed with a ton of events that are sure to be a great time.

Here are some of the highlights:

Friday

Making cards for children’s hospitals.  From 6:00 – 8:00 PM, the Student Association for Families, Children, and Lifespan Development will be providing materials in the Creative Arts Room of the Union.  You’ll have the opportunity to make uplifting cards for kids around the United States who are currently being hospitalized and who would surely appreciate the sentiment.

Creating Tie-Dye Shirts.  Remember how much fun that was as a kid?   Now your younger sibling (or you, I’m sure!) can head to Smith Hall on South Campus from 4:00 – 6:00 PM to enjoy it.  Some shirts will be provided, but since there’s only a limited amount, they ask that you please bring your own.

Saturday

Lincoln Luau.  This annual event has returned with plenty to enjoy! Not only will there be a DJ and free food courtesy of University Catering, but also giant inflatables, face painting, a rock-climbing wall, and more.

A Kid Again Carnival.  Non-profit organizations Dollars 4 Change and A Kid Again will be throwing an exciting event on The Oval from 1:00 – 5:00 PM.   Just like most carnivals, there will be everything from performances and face-painting to tug-of-war and other carnival games!

Medieval Renaissance Faire.   Take a trip back in time and check out the South Oval from 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM for a day of medieval entertainment complete with dancing, sword fighting, and comedy.   There will also be free food that’s appropriate to the time period!

World Food & Fun Festival.   The organization Allies for Diversity will be having a collection of international food and entertainment at Smith Hall from 4:00 – 6:00 PM.   There will be ethnic food, henna tattoos, and more.

Cornhole Tournament.   Take advantage of the (hopefully) nice spring weather for a day of cornhole on The Oval! The Alpha Lambda Delta/Phi Eta Sigma National Honor Society hosting the event in order to raise money for the James Cancer Research Center. It costs $5 for each player and $10 for a team. If you want to play, contact Katie Strickland at kland.102@buckeyemail.osu.edu.

Sunday

Laugh Olympics.  Think “Minute to Win It,” but without the cash prize.   Head over to Scott Lawn on North Campus from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM where the Student-Alumni Council will be hosting an Ohio State version of the popular game show.

Candy Making.   If you have a sweet tooth this Sunday, pay a visit to Taylor Tower from 1:00 – 2:00 PM to make some homemade buckeyes!  All supplies will be provided and you’ll have a nice treat to snack on for the rest of the day.

For a full schedule of events check out:

http://parent.osu.edu/programs/sibs_and_kids_weekend/sibs_sched

Image Sources:
http://partyinthepantry.blogspot.com/2009/11/buckeye-candy-good-stuff.html
http://customizedcornholeboard.bigcartel.com/product/quality-ohio-state-…
www.ktshulasupply.com

Kali Grant is the founding Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for the OSU chapter of Her Campus. Kali is pursuing a B.A. in Public Affairs at the John Glenn School with a minor in Communication and is excited to be in her senior year. Kali is a student research assistant at the Glenn School and is a proud member of the Zeta Alpha chapter of Chi Omega. Kali has spent her collegiate summers interning with The Institute on Women and The Salvation Army and studying Spanish in Buenos Aires, Argentina. When she’s not daydreaming about returning to New Orleans and San Francisco, Kali loves drinking coffee, talking about cats and politics, and trying out questionable vegetarian recipes.