Rachel Schlachter: Dedicated and Distinguished at Ohio State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Her Campus OSU was lucky enough to get to know Junior Rachel Schlachter this week. Coming all the way from Wisconsin, Rachel has made the most of her time here at Ohio State through her campus involvement.

Name: Rachel Schlachter

Major: Anthropology

Minors: History/Spanish

Hometown: Franklin, Wisconsin

Hobbies: dancing, painting my nails, watching The Tonight Show and Scandal

HC: Describe your involvement on campus.

RS: I am a University Host in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, which means that I welcome and mingle with families who come to visit Ohio State. I am also the Vice President of New Member Education for Alpha Chi Omega sorority. I help new members with the initiation process, teaching them about the sorority and our values. Additionally, I’m a member of the National Society of Leadership and Success honor society.  

HC: What got you interested in University Hosting and what do you love about it?

RS: I was an ambassador in high school so I wanted to find a similar position here at Ohio State. Hosting provides me the special opportunity to be part of the “welcoming committee” at Ohio State; I love being able to be one of the first few people that families get to meet. I absolutely love Ohio State and Hosting lets me share my passion for it and for university life with prospective students. 

HC: You’ve just become VP New Member Education in your sorority, Alpha Chi Omega. What do you plan to take away from this position?

RS: This leadership role will provide me with many benefits for my future. I believe that having the ability to effectively lead people can go very far in this world. Being able to be a helpful guide to others is something that I love doing.

HC: How do you balance your time between your many commitments?

RS: Many post-its and highlighted to-do lists! I only commit myself to positions and organizations where I know I will have enough time to devote to each, while still focusing on school. I admit it can be difficult sometimes, and late nights are a reality, but the satisfaction I get from being involved in variety of organizations keeps me motivated to stay on task! 

HC: What are your plans after graduation?

RS: My absolute dream job is to work in the Smithsonian in the National Museum of Natural History in Washington D.C. as a head anthropologist. I want to work in a museum and travel for my research. I love learning about other cultures and I would love to travel as much as I can in the future.

HC: How do you hope your involvement will benefit you after your graduate?

RS: I have already seen the benefits of my involvement! Being a Host over the past year has greatly improved my public speaking skills as well as taught me how to be both professional yet approachable. I think being able to present yourself well can take you a long way in this world. Hopefully all the qualities I have acquired will help me reach my professional goals.

HC: Did going to another state for college impact your decision to get involved at all?

RS: Coming to a school where I didn’t know a single person was intimidating yet exciting– so many possibilities in front me! Getting involved was the next natural step to me. I was very involved in high school and I wanted to continue that through my college years. I have met so many great people who have become some of my closest friends through getting involved. My “family” of people here at Ohio State is filled with people from all the organizations I am involved with, especially my sorority sisters in Alpha Chi Omega. 

HC: What advice would you give an incoming freshman about coming to Ohio State?

RS: I would tell freshmen not to be scared of pushing a bit out of their comfort zone. College is a time where I have found my true identity. My values, ideals, and goals have all evolved here at Ohio State. There are so many opportunities! Take advantage of what you can– you never know where your experiences will take you. Never would I have had the amazing experiences I have had here without taking a step out of my box and discovering all that Ohio State has to offer.