Oval Beach: OSU’s Slice of Paradise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Being a Buckeye obviously has its benefits: amazing athletics, a location in the heart of a thriving metropolis, a go-to Halloween costume (bow tie or vest), and countless traditions to demonstrate our abundance of school spirit (Mirror Lake, anyone?).  But, sadly, being a Buckeye also means being in the dreary state of Ohio for a solid six months of gray, wet winter.  Even when the calendar moves onto the next season, the weather just can’t keep up.  But on those rare occasions when spring takes pity on us in the midst of tortuous exams and endless days until summer, Ohio State students come out in true college form to show their appreciation.

On a sunny day in central Ohio, head out to Oval Beach, formally titled The Oval, pass out beverages to the hundreds of students milling about, and raise a glass to the ingenious architects of Ohio State’s campus for giving us such an expanse of unobstructed, lush grass for much-needed recreation and relaxation.  Oval Beach is one light at the end of the long tunnel that is winter, holding the promise of socializing and bronzing among friends when you should actually be in class.  But who needs class when you can throw on your swimsuit and hit the best (and only) “beach” in Columbus?  And you’re not alone – break out your Oval Beach Member tank and join the masses in some of their favorite activities to take part in on Oval Beach.

Laying Out

Who didn’t think this would be top of the list?  It’s nothing to be ashamed of – after months and months of being cooped up inside with nothing but artificial sunlight from tanning beds to give us that color we need, it’s a relief to lay out in the sun light.  And 20 minutes in a UV bed can’t give quite the same bronze and healthy glow that a few hours in the fresh air and sunshine can do for you.  Also, those poor claustrophobic souls who can’t handle a tanning bed finally get their moment in the sun.  While you may feel it’s awkward or socially unacceptable to wear a bikini in the absence of water and on a college campus, don’t worry! At Oval Beach, it’s expected of you!

Playing Catch or Frisbee

If you’re unable to lie in the grass and let nothing occupy your mind other than the need to turn over every half hour, you are never without entertainment on The Oval.  Multitudes of young, spry men are at the ready to show off their Frisbee prowess as they toss a disc over your head, hoping their throw will go amiss so they can check you out while apologizing profusely for hitting you.  And if you start to fry more than you feel safe doing or boredom takes over, get up and join in one of the games!  No self-respecting college guys would ever turn down a girl requesting they allow her to run around with them, so turn on that charm and show them what you’re made of. 

People Watching

Ah, America’s favorite pastime – or was that baseball?  Irrelevant, because while few people like to admit it, everyone does it.  The innocent observation of people around you is practically an unconscious act; it comes naturally to us all.  And it’s quite enjoyable, too.  If your athletic abilities are lacking or it’s too darn hot to risk breaking a sweat playing while catch, just turn your attention to your fellow beach-goers and you’ll never get bored.  Whether you’re watching the Frisbee players, the cutie nearby playing with his adorable puppy, or the girl who knows how to work a hula hoop in more ways than you thought possible, the activity on Oval Beach will never cease to amaze you – or at least hold your attention for a while.  But make sure you have your shades on – you don’t want to creep anyone out!

Studying

Lastly, if you don’t have time for relaxation or are a great multi-tasker, hit the books while you’re on The Oval!  Holing up in the library to get mounds of homework done or to crank out a paper can’t be good for your mental state with the sun taunting you outside.  Fresh air does good things for the brain!  So sprawl out on the grass or prop up beneath a tree and get productive.  You’ll appear studious and dedicated while saving yourself from a library-induced mental breakdown.  Definitely a win-win situation.  Oval Beach is where it’s at, Buckeyes!  See you there!

Kali Grant is the founding Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for the OSU chapter of Her Campus. Kali is pursuing a B.A. in Public Affairs at the John Glenn School with a minor in Communication and is excited to be in her senior year. Kali is a student research assistant at the Glenn School and is a proud member of the Zeta Alpha chapter of Chi Omega. Kali has spent her collegiate summers interning with The Institute on Women and The Salvation Army and studying Spanish in Buenos Aires, Argentina. When she’s not daydreaming about returning to New Orleans and San Francisco, Kali loves drinking coffee, talking about cats and politics, and trying out questionable vegetarian recipes.