OSU Wants to Keep You Well

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

With the colder months approaching, motivation and desire to keep working out and continue a healthy lifestyle often start to wane. Luckily, Ohio State has many opportunities to learn about and engage in healthy habits, inhibiting any discouraging thoughts or feelings. Due to the multitude of OSU’s centers in which health and fitness come together, HCOSU breaks them down for you with each center’s certain features below.

Jesse Owens North (JON): This is a fitness center on North Campus equipped with plenty of dumbbells and free weights, along with a great selection of strength-training and cardio machines. JON also includes two basketball courts in the back. Perfect for all the insomniacs, this center is open until 2:00AM!

Jesse Owens South (JOS): This center is very similar to the one on North Campus, except that, as the name implies, it’s located on South Campus. It is also open until 2:00AM to fit in the late-night sweat sessions.

Adventure Recreation Center (ARC): This recreation spot is located on West Campus and enjoys four basketball courts (which convert to five volleyball courts), two indoor turf fields, and the expected free weights, cardio, and strength-training machines. The ARC is also home to the Outdoor Adventure Center (OAC), which boasts an awesome rock climbing wall and a resource center for planning outdoor trips.

Recreation and Physical Activity Center (RPAC): This facility is located in the heart of campus, right next to our beloved stadium. This powerhouse offers it all: cardio and strength training equipment, free weights, basketball, volleyball, squash, and racquetball courts, and a four-lane indoor track. This center also offers massage therapy for which appointments can be made at the RPAC Welcome Center. While at the RPAC, one can also check out the Aquatic Center for a relaxing go in the hot tub or a more unconventional workout of lap swimming. To really increase motivation and learn how to properly work and fuel the body, a staff of certified personal trainers are available for individualized sessions and specialty classes. Speaking of classes, the RPAC offers FREE group fitness classes everyday, offered at many different times, skill levels, and types of workout. For those completely new to, or just struggling with, the entire realm of health in general, visit the Student Wellness Center. The Student Wellness Center has resources for every type of issue relating to wellness, fitness, and health. Whether a student is struggling physically or emotionally, the Wellness Center has the means to provide assistance.

To prevent falling into an unhealthy routine and lousy eating habits this winter, utilize the resources made available by Ohio State. Also, remember that a portion of tuition is allocated toward these assets, so don’t let that money go to waste (along with your body)! To learn more information about these facilities and times that certain classes or courts are available, visit: www.rpac.osu.edu.

Photo source: http://recsports.osu.edu/facilities/recreation-physical-activity-center-…

Kali Grant is the founding Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for the OSU chapter of Her Campus. Kali is pursuing a B.A. in Public Affairs at the John Glenn School with a minor in Communication and is excited to be in her senior year. Kali is a student research assistant at the Glenn School and is a proud member of the Zeta Alpha chapter of Chi Omega. Kali has spent her collegiate summers interning with The Institute on Women and The Salvation Army and studying Spanish in Buenos Aires, Argentina. When she’s not daydreaming about returning to New Orleans and San Francisco, Kali loves drinking coffee, talking about cats and politics, and trying out questionable vegetarian recipes.