Ohioans have Spoken: Issue 2 Defeated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Nov. 8, 2011 was an historic day in Ohio, as millions of voters flocked to the polls to make their voices heard. Several important issues were on the ballot, including the infamous repeal of Senate Bill 5.
Senate Bill 5 sought to reform Ohio’s collective bargaining laws by eliminating public employees’ right to bargain their salary and benefits. The law would require pay to be based on performance, mirroring the private sector. According to Governor John Kasich, the goal was to balance Ohio’s budget and drastically alleviate our deficit. However, many Ohioans disagreed with Kasich’s approach, arguing that the law was severely unfair to public employees.

The We are Ohio campaign was launched to collect the needed signatures to have this issue put on the ballot. The campaign collected over one million signatures (four times the amount needed) and State Issue 2 was born. Voting results revealed that more than 60 percent of voters were against the law; as a result, Senate Bill 5 is now dead.

It is hard to say where the Kasich administration will go from here to balance the budget, but more than likely a more moderate approach will be taken. 

“It is clear the people have spoken. I have heard their voices, I understand their decision, and frankly, I respect what people have to say,” said Kasich.

Beyond Issue 2, other issues on the ballot were voted on in record numbers as well. Over 60 percent of voters voted against Issue 1, which sought to extend the age at which a judge may be appointed; more than 60 percent of voters voted for Issue 22, which proposed an amendment to add language to the state’s constitution stipulating that Ohio will always allow citizens to choose their healthcare option.

No matter how you voted, or what outcome you were looking for on the issues, it is exciting to see the democratic process play out and for people to be getting involved. As college students, we sometimes forget our potential power and don’t vote—but remember, young people helped bring about Obama’s victory in the 2008 presidential elections, as they turned out in record numbers. So, HC OSU’s challenge to all of you is don’t forget your power. If you didn’t vote, then be sure to in the next election. Every vote counts!

Below is a full recap of election results.

Issue Description Percent For Percent Against
1 Proposed constitutional amendment to increase the maximum age at which a person may be elected or appointed judge and eliminate certain authorities 37.97.% 62.03.%
2 Proposed referendum to repeal Senate Bill 5 38.67%

61.33%
22 Proposed constitutional amendment to preserve the freedom of Ohioans to choose their health care and health care coverage 65.63% 34.37%

Source: Ohio Secretary of State website

Kali Grant is the founding Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for the OSU chapter of Her Campus. Kali is pursuing a B.A. in Public Affairs at the John Glenn School with a minor in Communication and is excited to be in her senior year. Kali is a student research assistant at the Glenn School and is a proud member of the Zeta Alpha chapter of Chi Omega. Kali has spent her collegiate summers interning with The Institute on Women and The Salvation Army and studying Spanish in Buenos Aires, Argentina. When she’s not daydreaming about returning to New Orleans and San Francisco, Kali loves drinking coffee, talking about cats and politics, and trying out questionable vegetarian recipes.