Ohio State Welcomes Urban Meyer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Whether you are a football fan or not, you probably heard lots of talk about Urban Meyer over the past week or so via Facebook, Twitter, or around campus.  On Monday evening, Ohio State officially confirmed the rumors: Urban Meyer will be the new head football coach!  After a tough year for the football team including a tattoo scandal, suspension of some of the best players, the resignation of Coach Jim Tressel and a loss to that school up north after a seven-year winning streak, this is just what our Buckeye Nation needed to lift its spirits!  With 20 years of coaching experience, including two years as a graduate assistant at Ohio State and an overall record of 104-23, Urban Meyer is quite a catch, and seemingly the best possible candidate to lead the Buckeyes as they move forward after this transitional season. 

Meyer, an Ohio native, returns to Ohio State after six years as head coach at the University of Florida where he led the Gators to two BCS National Championships (one against Ohio State in 2007!).  In 2009, he was named the Sports Illustrated Coach of the Decade.  After stepping down from his position at Florida at the end of last season to spend more time for his family, Meyer spent the past few months as an analyst with EPSN.  Lucky for us, he had a change of heart and realized how much he missed coaching.  In a press conference at Ohio State on Monday, Meyer said that, “but for the coaching position at The Ohio State University,” he would not have taken a coaching job at this time.  Get excited for an exciting new era of Ohio State Football, collegiettes!

Sources:
www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com
www.espn.com

Photo:
www.cbsnews.com

Kali Grant is the founding Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for the OSU chapter of Her Campus. Kali is pursuing a B.A. in Public Affairs at the John Glenn School with a minor in Communication and is excited to be in her senior year. Kali is a student research assistant at the Glenn School and is a proud member of the Zeta Alpha chapter of Chi Omega. Kali has spent her collegiate summers interning with The Institute on Women and The Salvation Army and studying Spanish in Buenos Aires, Argentina. When she’s not daydreaming about returning to New Orleans and San Francisco, Kali loves drinking coffee, talking about cats and politics, and trying out questionable vegetarian recipes.