This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

As the most anticipated movie of 2017, “I, Tonya” delivers on its true insight into the life and hardships of Tonya Harding and how they shaped her into the woman she is today.

(Margot Robbie)

This fresh mockumentary depicts Tonya Harding (Margot Robbie), a disgraced Olympic figure skater who lost her credibility with the infamous attack on her competitor, Nancy Kerrigan. Harding grew up poor and did not fit the “all- American girl” image the skating world desired, while Kerrigan was born the complete package. Harding’s harsh, abusive and condescending upbringing by her mother (Allison Janney) perfectly displays the cause of her personal complex to prove others her true worth. Harding marries young and faces constant challenges with her mentally and emotionally unstable husband (Sebastian Stan), who continues the cycle of physical abuse in her life. Struggling to balance her hectic home life and personal struggles, Harding strives desperately to be accepted and to be the absolute best.

(Sebastian Stan and Margot Robbie)

Robbie absolutely stuns as Tonya, and she portrays her in a way that causes the audience to feel sympathy for her. The way in which Robbie is able to play the differing emotions throughout the complexities of Harding’s life shows her true acting range. As LaVona Golden, Janney makes you hate her. You’ll hate her so much. But this hatred brings some important insight into the way Harding was shaped. Sebastian Stan also plays a rather despicable Jeff Gillooly, who invades Harding’s mental psyche and causes most of the happiness and utmost despair in her young life. Stan plays a very convincing psychopath with his ability to play the love of Tanya’s life, but also her worst nightmare. An excellent cast with a wide range of talent, the characters are able to make you live life before and during the “incident” from the perspective of Tonya Harding.

(Margot Robbie)

Final Thoughts

“I, Tonya” is a unique take on the story from the infamous antagonist’s perspective, and the characters constantly break the fourth wall and address the audience. The way the characters are displayed makes the attack on Kerrigan seem less than an inside job, and rather a poorly executed and covered up plan that was attempted by people in over their heads. There is a highly sarcastic tone in the way the “truth” is shared with the audience, with tons of irony and contradictory stories to match the differing ways the people involved tell their story. A rather entertaining way to watch a film, since you won’t feel you have to take anything too seriously in the story; they’re just utterly thoughtless people attempting to cheat life the way they feel it cheated them.

I would give “I, Tonya” 4 out of 5 stars, since I enjoyed the ironic display of the film and its overall effect. The cast dazzled and made you really feel and sympathize with each character. My only wish is that Kerrigan was covered more in the movie, since it was, after all the attack, on her that made both skaters extra relevant. An upbringings is a reason or cause for the way someone is, but I do not believe it is an excuse. I enjoyed the telling of her story, but I wish that Harding received less attention for her involvement in this assault. Other than that, the film itself is definitely worth a watch, and I wish Allison Janney and Margot Robbie all the best at this year’s Academy Awards.

(Tonya Harding with Margot Robbie)

Second Year Strategic Communications major at THE Ohio State University