This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Fall has finally arrived on OSU’s campus! Leaves are turning shades of yellow, orange and red, so go relax under a tree on the Oval, put on your headphones and listen to some amazing music from my top five favorite songs that are perfect for this fall.

1. “The Great War” by Taylor Swift

“The Great War” by Taylor Swift is a heart-wrenching song that tells the story of a romantic relationship that endured a hard conflict and ends on a hopeful note with the relationship’s survival. The song’s lyrical beauty makes it feel like the epitome of a cloudy fall day.

Over Taylor Swift’s eighteen years of music, she has created not just one, but four albums that have songs that are fitting for any fall day. While you’re already jamming out to some Taylor Swift, consider adding more songs from her following albums to your playlist: “Red (Taylor’s Version),” “folklore,” “evermore” and “Midnights (The Til Dawn Edition).”

2. “bags” by Clairo

“Bags” is about having a crush, but not just any usual crush–this is a hard-core, head-over-heels crush. Clairo tells the story of wanting to tell your crush that you like them so badly, but the fear of ruining what is already there due to potential rejection outweighs your desire to be vulnerable and share your true feelings. “Bags” has a hazy, alternative, and indie vibe to it that just feels so fitting when imagining a perfect fall day.

This is a no-brainer for any fall playlist. When “Bags” plays, I feel a chill in the air, and I imagine pumpkin cream cold brew from Starbucks in one hand and a fantasy book in the other.

3. “4 Seasons” by Rex Orange County

“4 Seasons” by Rex Orange County explores intense themes and takes you on a beautiful lyrical journey. Rex Orange County named the song “4 Seasons” as he sings about his feelings ebbing and flowing for the one he loves as he moves through the passage of time. The song reflects his emotional journey through certain aspects of his life, such as his romantic partner, his family and his claim to fame through his features on Tyler, The Creator’s “Flower Boy” album. This song has been an all-time favorite of mine, always reminding me of fall as the leaves change to the next season!

Rex Orange County has dominated the indie/alternative realm of music since his sophomore album, “Apricot Princess.” He has released numerous songs that fit like a puzzle piece into the fall season. Go check out two of his albums, “Apricot Princess” and “Pony,” for even more fall jams!

4. “Lovers Rock” by TV Girl

“Lovers Rock” is another staple for any fall playlist. It is truly shocking that it wasn’t until last fall that I heard this song for the first time on TikTok! TV Girl released this song on their 2014 “French Exit” album, offering a fun, alternative beat about a girl whose love is short and sweet, repeatedly comparing love to the burning of cigarettes because it does not last long.

TV Girl has grown to become a widely known alternative/indie band with many more songs that are just as fitting for the fall! Check out some of their other albums: “Death of a Party Girl” and “Who Really Cares“!

5. “Dugout” by The Backseat Lovers

The Backseat Lovers, one of the most successful alternative bands in the music industry at the moment, released their first album, “When We Were Friends,” only a few years ago in 2019. They had instant success with this single from the album called “Kilby Girl,” and while “Kilby Girl” is still an iconic and amazing single, “Dugout” is the track that stuck with me the most.

This song has a lot of instrumental sections and it builds to make the chorus and post-chorus only more impactful. “Dugout” seems to be about someone who has a fear of change and messing up. This song makes me feel like I’m in a fall coming-of-age film and I am the main character!

The Backseat Lovers have two albums to date, “When We Were Friends” and “Waiting to Spill,” and they are the fall-feeling, alternative essentials!

Where to listen:

While this article has included five of my favorite songs on a fall day, there are many more that remain unmentioned. I have taken the liberty to curate a playlist containing these five songs and even more that are necessary for my perfect fall day. My music taste is always growing and changing, so it is only fitting to give you even more recommendations in my playlist below!

Gia is a third-year strategic communication student at The Ohio State University from Carroll, Ohio. Creative writing is one of her favorite hobbies as she gets to write about her interests. Her interests include reading, listening to music, coffee, experimenting with fashion, baking, journaling, fitness and wellness.