Mourning the Loss of Joan Rivers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

WHY Joan Rivers WHY?! 

If any of you are as into fashion and love the habit of passing judgment on those poor helpless fashion victims as much as I do, you guys can relate to the feeling of loss that came when the world heard the news of Joan Rivers’ passing. 

Joan Rivers was a comedian, producer, a T.V. corresponden, Television Host of Fashion Police on E! and so much more.  Rivers went into cardiac arrest on the operating table, during a throat procedure on Thursday, August 28, 2014 at an outpatient clinic. She was then rushed to Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City, New York. The comedic star was then put onto life support and died a week later on Thursday, September 4, 2014 at the age of 81.

I’m sure I can speak for all of us by saying Joan Rivers will be dearly missed. Her sassy attitude has rubbed off onto me after binge watching many episodes of Fashion Police after a long weekend instead of working on my mountainous pile of homework. Her life and career will continue to teach us all some very valuable life lessons. Below I listed just a few of my favorite lessons this fashion diva has taught us:

1.) She taught us to always work hard for what you want. Don’t take short cuts!

2.) She taught us diamonds were a girls best friend and relates to us by knowing exactly what every girl thinks while they’re doing squats at the gym. I guess we owe our thanks to Nikki Minaj and Sir Mix-A Lot because anacondas don’t want none unless you got buns hun!

3.) Joan also taught us to always speak our mind even if your views are different from others. You should let yourself be heard.

4.) She might not have taught us this face, but she sure has perfected it! I’m almost positive that every girl has thrown one of these beauties at their best girl friend as the Campus Hunk walks by.

5.) Joan has showed us that one should always keep looking and feeling good about themselves. Even if that means that means feeling risky and getting your hair dyed dark brown to look more like a Kardashian, but it coming out Amy Winehouse black. Or maybe even just taking a simple shopping spree. It’s perfectly okay to reinvent yourself! 

6.) But one of the most important things Joan has taught us is to always have fun and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS find time to show off your Beyonce moves! I prefer to show off mine with my best girlfriends in Frat basements, but thats just me.

Thanks Joan Rivers for all the lessons you’ve taught us on life and fashion. Joan will be truly missed, but the work and the laughs she has created throughout her eighty one years will continue to live on!

Photo credit: hamptonroads.com

Hello my name is Adriane Swetland, I'm a Sophomore at The Ohio State University studying Journalism and English Education. I'm from Sparta, Ohio, but I've never felt more at home than I do at OSU aka the greatest University in the world!