This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Are you looking for some fun electives to add to your upcoming schedule? Whether you are a senior seeking to finish credits or you are an underclassman looking for a fun course apart from difficult major courses, continue reading to find out about some of the interesting classes offered at OSU. 

MEATSCI 2010 – Bar-B-Que Science (Two Credits)

According to Ohio State the course description reads as follows,“Investigating methods to prepare various meat products. Students will gain experience in matching proper cooking methods with different muscles to produce wholesome and palatable products. Students will be introduced to product sensory techniques.”

KNSFHP 1139.14 – SkyDiving (One Credit)

Course description: This course introduces students to the basics of safe skydiving, personal performance enhancement, and stress management.

FDSCTE 1120 – Wine and Beer in Western Culture (Two Credits)

Course description: To familiarize students with the terminology, production and practices related to wine, beer and distilled spirits as well as critical historical and cultural events.

ITALIAN 2056 – Love on the Italian Screen (Three Credits) 

This course addresses representations of race, gender, sexuality, and ethnicity in love in Italian film. Students will study the theme of love in the context of 20th and 21st century Italy through silent film and more recent film to identify love in Italian culture and recognize what their own experiences and biases bring to the study of race, ethnicity, gender and sexuality.

FRIT 3061 – Mediterranean Food Culture (Three Credits)

This course “approaches food as a way of talking about culture and identity in an ever-changing world full of human and environmental interactions.” Students in this course will study the traditions of Mediterranean cultures through their food and attempt to define “the taste of place.”

KNSFHP 1152.01 – Social Dance for Women (One Credit) 

This course provides students with basic skills and knowledge of popular social dances including the Foxtrot, Cha-cha, Waltz, American Tango, Swing and Merengue.

HCS 2502 – Understanding the Rules of Golf and Golf Etiquette (One Credit)

This course teaches students the rules of golf and appropriate golf etiquette so they can become better educated golf players and spectators.

MEDREN 2666 – Magic and Witchcraft in the Middle Ages and Renaissance (Three Credits)

Ohio State defines this course as, “A study of the history of witchcraft and magic from 400 to 1700 C.E. within sociological, religious and intellectual contexts.” The course includes some small writing exercises to reflect on your thoughts and beliefs about what you study in class. 

EARTHSC 1108 – Gemstones (Three Credits)

This course studies gems and their origins, how to identify them and their history. Precious metals are also included. 

ITALIAN 2055 – Mafia Movies (Three Credits)

This class analyzes Italian and American mafia movies from 1905 to the present and teaches the history of the Italian and Italian American Mafias. 

Jenna is a second-year student at Ohio State majoring in Strategic Communications and currently thriving as a full-time writer and events coordinator at Her Campus. Juggling academics and real-world experience, she's also an accounts associate at PRactice, a student-led PR firm, and an active member of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA). Beyond her professional endeavors, Jenna loves football, skincare, makeup and hair care. She brings a multifaceted perspective to her role at Her Campus, crafting not just articles but a strategic narrative that aligns with her aspirations in the dynamic field of public relations.
Aislin is a first-year Strategic Communication student in the Honors Program at The Ohio State University from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Along with a B.A. in Strategic Communication, she is also pursuing a minor in Professional Writing. Beyond Her Campus, Aislin is the Special Projects Director at The PRactice, Ohio State’s student-run public relations firm, and a member of PRSSA, BuckeyeTHON, and Pi Beta Phi. In her free time, Aislin enjoys traveling, experimenting with new recipes, listening to music, watching sports, playing with her dogs, and hanging out with family and friends.
My name is Ellie Keehn and I am a freshman at The Ohio State University! I am an English major and Art and Media Production and Analysis minor.