Marie Rehg, ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

It seems like celebrities are only about one thing (at least in the public eye): philanthropy.  Giving back, donating (or founding) charities and helping those in need are all goals of the rich and famous in order to counteract and distract from their escapades in the tabloids.  But for this celebrity, her desire to assist the people who need it most is genuinely sincere and not for the gain of public approval.  Marie Rehg is a compassionate sophomore who wants to give back in return for what she’s been given.  An RA to help the doe-eyed freshmen survive their first year of adulthood and a USG senator who helps as many students as she can voice their concerns and understand what’s ahead of them, Marie is a regular Oprah on the college circuit and her hard work pays off for the students who seek her help.

Name: Marie Rehg

Hometown: Dayton, OH           

Year: 2013

Major: Political Science and Economics

HC: What are you involved in on campus?  
MR: Mostly just being an RA [in Lincoln Tower].  I just got elected SBS senator of USG, and I [had a cabinet position] this year.  Next year I will be a Chimes Junior Class Honorary.

HC: What do you hope to accomplish in your position with USG?  
MR: I really just want to work on issues that students are facing, especially with the semester switch coming up.  That was part of my platform: helping SBS majors with the transition and their studies.  I also want to focus on and increase study abroad opportunities, and get feedback from students about any concerns they have.

HC: What made you decide to be an RA? 
MR: I had a good RA freshman year and I liked their role as being a community builder and the idea that, for people who are just coming in or continuing in the dorms, the RA is one of the first people they see on move-in day and can be a good resource for freshmen to help with the college transition.  I think it’s important for them to have a peer who just went through the same first-year experience to offer help from a similar point of view.

HC: What’s the next step for you after college? 
MR: Take a couple years off and work.  I really want to study abroad and have an internship in France.  Then I’ll come back and work for a few years, and then go to law school.

HC: What are your dreams for the future?  
MR: I want to be a lawyer and I’ve always been interested in politics.  Not necessarily being a politician, but being involved in politics in some capacity [as] a lawyer.

HC: What is your favorite thing about OSU?  
MR: I really like the community sprit that Buckeyes have in general.  I remember being a visiting student and feeling the community spirit.  The administration makes it feel like we’re all Buckeyes, and all one community.  And the students come to care about each other through a common identity.

HC: What’s your least favorite thing about OSU?  
MR: As with any big institution, there is difficulty in getting the answers you’re looking for.  There are levels of bureaucracy that make getting things done or finding pieces of information complicated, like when you have to go through person after person to answer one simple question.  That gets annoying.

HC: Where is your favorite spot to hang out on campus?  
MR: I definitely like the Oval in the springtime.

HC: What is one thing you want to do before you graduate?  
MR: Rush the field after a football game.  I didn’t last year, and I really want to now.

HC: What is one fun fact about yourself?  
MR: I’ve never been on a rollercoaster.

Kali Grant is the founding Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for the OSU chapter of Her Campus. Kali is pursuing a B.A. in Public Affairs at the John Glenn School with a minor in Communication and is excited to be in her senior year. Kali is a student research assistant at the Glenn School and is a proud member of the Zeta Alpha chapter of Chi Omega. Kali has spent her collegiate summers interning with The Institute on Women and The Salvation Army and studying Spanish in Buenos Aires, Argentina. When she’s not daydreaming about returning to New Orleans and San Francisco, Kali loves drinking coffee, talking about cats and politics, and trying out questionable vegetarian recipes.