Mariah Maldovan: Marching On

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

This week, Her Campus was pleased to have a conversation with Mariah Maldovan, a freshman at Ohio State who is already part of one of the strongest traditions at the university: The Ohio State University Marching Band. Commonly known as “The Best Darn Band in the Land”, this extracurricular is quite a force to be reckoned with. Read on to learn how Mariah’s band experience is shaping her Buckeye experience every day.  

Name: Mariah Maldovan 

Major: Neuroscience 

Rank: Freshman 

Hometown: Baltimore, Ohio

Ohio State Activities: Marching band, International Affairs Scholars 

Her Campus: What is your favorite quote to live your life by?

Mariah Maldovan: “Nothing will work unless you do.” – Maya Angelou. 

HC: What’s your favorite place on campus?

MM: Ohio Stadium.

HC: How did you become involved with the Ohio State Marching Band and what instrument do you play?

MM: My dad was a member of the OSUMB, and my brother is a third year in the band, so I had a love for it growing up. When I realized that OSU was the school for me, I thought, why not try to be a part of the band legacy too? I play the flugelhorn, which is essentially a trumpet with a bigger bell. 

HC: What is your favorite thing about your marching band experience?

MM: Hearing the crowd’s response at the end of our performances.

HC: What’s the best experience you’ve had so far as a Buckeye?

MM: My best experience as a Buckeye so far was during the Hawaii game. The alumni band joined us for pregame, so I had the chance to march with my dad (pictured above). Before the game, all of the current band members and alumni stood together and sang “Carmen Ohio.” The feeling of tradition and pride in being a Buckeye was amazing.