Logan Stieber: Tackling his dreams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

This week, Her Campus had the chance to sit down with varsity wrestling team member, 2x NCAA Champion and 2x Big Ten Champ, Logan Stieber. If you’re like us and clueless as to what these titles mean, here’s a quick refresher.

Within the NCAA tournament, there are 32 opponents who battle each other in rounds that get harder and, ultimately, eliminate a person each round.  Being the Big Ten Champion means he took first in a bracket of 12 people (everyone from B1G) not once, but twice! To be the NCAA Champion means he beat out 32 people for the title twice.

Name: Logan Stieber
Hometown: Norwalk, Ohio
Year: 4th year
Major: Criminology

HC: What made you get involved in wrestling?
LS: It was always something that I grew up doing; I initially got started when I was 4 years old and then my brother followed suit. From there, we have grown and perfected our skills and had the chance to wrestle for OSU. (Sidenote: His brother, a year younger, is a 2x All-American. Talk about good family genes.)

HC: What is it about wrestling that draws you into it?
LS:  My ability to control the outcome of a match off of my own personal ability. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about team spirit–but walking out on that mat by yourself, knowing that I have only myself to depend on, gives me an adrenaline rush. After doing it for so long, it has become second nature and I don’t see myself not doing it.

HC: What are your plans after you graduate?
LS:  Once I graduate, I would love to get into coaching a college wrestling team.  Hopefully even land a job here at OSU.

HC: How do your coaches feel about you gunning for their position?
LS:  *Chuckles* I’m really close with my coaches, so I’ve told them my goals and they have been pretty helpful. Offering me advice and, in ways, mentoring and helping me to fulfill my dream. They don’t see it as me coming for their spot, but instead take pride in knowing they influenced me so much.

Alumna of THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY | internet junkie | music connoisseur | supporter of anything DOPE