Lights, Camera, Change! OSU’s Theater for Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Are you interested in theatre? How about community service? How would you like to find a group that does both here at OSU? Now you can! Theatre for Change is a brand new student organization that uses theatre as a way to raise money and awareness for different charities all over the country! It was founded in spring 2012 by Courtney Thompson, a senior Criminology major here at OSU.

TFC’s mission is to “perform controversial and once banned plays to raise awareness of social issues.” Each semester, the members choose a play that focuses on a certain problem that society is facing today. They also select a charity that relates to the issue to receive a portion of the proceeds from each show.

Last quarter, they performed “Dog Sees God: Confessions of a Teenage Blockhead,” which aimed to raise awareness about LGBT suicide. Through these performances, they were able to raise $100 to donate to The Trevor Project, an LGBT hotline. This semester, Theatre for Change will be performing “Bang Bang You’re Dead,” a play that fleshes out the effects of bullying in schools and how it can lead to student violence. A portion of the proceeds from the performance will be donated to relief for victims of the recent shooting in a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado.

Theatre for Change will be hosting a fundraiser at No Tan Lines on Friday, October 26! There will be loads of specials ($20 spray tans, $10 eyelash extensions, $10 eyebrow wax, etc.) from which TFC will receive a portion of the proceeds. Stop by to help TFC and get your tan on for the Halloween festivities! You do not want to miss out on this.

Theatre for Change currently has eighteen members and is always looking for more! It is a friendly, outgoing group of students who share a love of theatre and want to make a difference in their community. They will be holding auditions for their next performance at the beginning of spring semester, so ‘like’ them on Facebook and follow them on Twitter to make sure you don’t miss out!

In the mean time, don’t forget to check out their performances on November 2nd and 3rd at 8:00 PM in the Hitchcock Hall Auditorium.

If you are interested in being a part of Theatre for Change or have any questions about the show, contact Courtney Thompson at Thompson.1972@osu.edu.

Follow them on Twitter! @OSUTFC
‘Like’ them on Facebook! Theatre for Change

Photo Source: Aurora Stromberg

Aurora Stromberg is a Senior at The Ohio State University pursuing her Bachelor of Arts in Strategic Communication and minoring in professional writing. She has been a member of her chapter of Her Campus for two years and is so excited to be this year's HCOSU campus correspondent.  She loves all thinks Tiffany Blue and loves act and sing, but wishes she didn’t have two left feet so that she could dance, too! Aurora is also a member OSU chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America at Ohio State and dreams of running her own PR and event planning business someday. 
Kali Grant is the founding Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for the OSU chapter of Her Campus. Kali is pursuing a B.A. in Public Affairs at the John Glenn School with a minor in Communication and is excited to be in her senior year. Kali is a student research assistant at the Glenn School and is a proud member of the Zeta Alpha chapter of Chi Omega. Kali has spent her collegiate summers interning with The Institute on Women and The Salvation Army and studying Spanish in Buenos Aires, Argentina. When she’s not daydreaming about returning to New Orleans and San Francisco, Kali loves drinking coffee, talking about cats and politics, and trying out questionable vegetarian recipes.