Kinyell Gaston, ’10

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

If you’re a loyal OSU student, you have probably experienced the magic that is Sloopy’s Diner in the Ohio Union.  Some die-hard customers even make Sloopy’s part of their weekend routine: hit the town, then hit Sloopy’s for some diner food and ice cream.  And most days of the week, when you stop in for those late-night cravings, you will get an extra treat at the end of your visit: a chat with the one and only Kinyell Gaston (better known as KG) when you pay your bill.  Full of wit, wisdom, and sage advice, he’s the part of Sloopy’s that many patrons look forward to most.  KG has come to be referred to as ‘The Man with the Question’ because he takes a different poll of his customers every night.  We have all pondered his questions—but what about the man behind them? A multifaceted and legitimately cool guy, KG has a passion for everything from his studies to sports to his extensive video game collection, and he’s always up for a conversation.  So, keep reading to get to know the mind that comes up with those poll questions everyone loves so much.  You will come to love the man behind them even more!

Name: Kinyell Gaston, but everyone calls me KG.

Hometown: Chicago, Illinois (Go Bulls and Bears, win or lose).

Year: I graduated from THE Ohio State University in Spring 2010 with my bachelor’s degree in Pharmaceutical Science and now I’m pursuing my post-bach for Sociological Behaviors.

Relationship status: I am currently in a relationship.

HC:  What would your ideal girl be like?
KG:  Physically, my ideal girl has pretty eyes, pretty hands (I know, a little weird), and a pretty voice.  She has a proportional body, thick or petite, not too particular there.  Mentally, she is kind-hearted, intelligent, well rounded, and, to be honest, has a little attitude—the kind that’s not too over the top, but that’s occasionally challenging.

HC:  What is your idea of a perfect first date?
KG:  A trip to a really good mall is a good first date.  You get the chance to see the things they like and how they interact with others.  There’s food and a plethora of activities, from movies to people watching.  And the best thing is that there’s no pressure because it’s not extremely intimate and you have room to just watch, listen, and get to know someone.  It makes sense if you think about it.

HC:  What hobbies do you have?
KG:  I am extremely passionate about video games and roller-skating.  They are my relief from everything.

HC:  What have you been involved in on campus?
KG:  In undergrad, I was in the National Society of Black Engineers, Philosophy Club, and I really wanted to get into Board to Death.  These days, I am an Associate Sales Assistant at Sloopy’s Diner.

HC:  What plans do you have for the future?
KG:  I am currently taking classes to finish my Sociology minor.  Once that’s finished, I want to go to graduate school for public health, where I hope to specialize in epidemiology and health programming.

HC:  What’s your favorite thing about OSU?
KG:  My favorite thing about OSU is, and will always be, our school spirit. OH-!!!

HC:  What’s your least favorite thing about OSU?
KG:  I guess it’s good in theory, but the construction around this campus is ridiculous.

HC:  Where is your favorite spot to hang out on campus?
KG:  Definitely the RPAC!  Food, ladies, study, exercise, and entertainment, all in one place.

HC:  Since you’ve already had the college experience, is there anything you’d change about it?
KG: I wish I would have taken that advice about balancing my class schedule as a freshman.  I kind of set myself up for having to climb uphill.

HC:  What is the best poll question you’ve ever had?
KG:  Sonic or Mario was a pretty good one.  It was so close, but Sonic won by one!

HC:  What advice do you have for incoming freshmen?
KG:  Three major things. 1: Record everything you do, activity wise.  2: Learn to play up your successes.  3: Find a good mentor in an upperclassman.

HC:  What is one fun fact about yourself?
KG:  I played tennis for four years and was the captain of my chess team in high school.

Kali Grant is the founding Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for the OSU chapter of Her Campus. Kali is pursuing a B.A. in Public Affairs at the John Glenn School with a minor in Communication and is excited to be in her senior year. Kali is a student research assistant at the Glenn School and is a proud member of the Zeta Alpha chapter of Chi Omega. Kali has spent her collegiate summers interning with The Institute on Women and The Salvation Army and studying Spanish in Buenos Aires, Argentina. When she’s not daydreaming about returning to New Orleans and San Francisco, Kali loves drinking coffee, talking about cats and politics, and trying out questionable vegetarian recipes.