Keyana Aghamirzadeh: Climate Reality Project

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Name: Keyana Aghamirzadeh

Year: Sophomore

Major: Environmental Policy and Decision Making 

Hometown: Issaquah, Washington

This week, Her Campus had the opportunity to interview Keyana Aghamirzadeh, the Vice President of Climate Reality Project at OSU. Read on to see how Keyana got involved with Climate Reality, and why she is so passionate about the club!

Her Campus: What clubs and organizations are you involved with? 

Keyana: I’m currently involved in The Climate Reality Project, Iranian Cultural Association, and Alpha Xi Delta Fraternity at Ohio State!

HC: What is the Climate Reality Project?

KA: The Climate Reality Project is a national organization founded by Al Gore that works to raise awareness about Global Climate Change and teach ways to combat it and mitigate degradation that has already taken place. 

HC: How did you get involved in Climate Reality Project?

KA: The Climate Reality Project just became an organization at Ohio State in the fall of 2015. I was approached by the campus organizer that was sent here to establish our group by the national organization and asked to sign her petition for the 21st Conference of the Parties that took place in Paris this past December. I don’t know why, but I guess I just didn’t expect this to be something that many people my age cared about so I was excited to see that other students had similar interests to my own. I went to the first meeting that night and have been going ever since! 

HC: What do you love about the organization?

KA: I love the collaborative effort that goes into putting on all of our events and how passionate everyone’s about our causes. It makes all the time and effort that goes into planning everything worthwhile and is very rewarding. 

HC: What is the primary goal of the organization?

KA: Our goal last semester was just to raise awareness and gain petition signatures to support President Obama’s singing of the international agreement on climate action. This semester however, we have taken a slightly different direction and have decided to focus primarily on community education and outreach of sustainable practice within the city of Columbus and Columbus City Schools. 

HC: Do you have any advice for students who want to get involved in this project?

KA: Come to our meetings on Wednesdays at 7:00pm in Enarsson 322! We would love to hear your ideas!