Kathryn Snow: Educating and empowering others

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity is the hyper-involved and incredible Kathryn Snow! On top of being an active member of the service fraternity Delta Sigma Pi (DSP), Kathryn is also involved with the College Mentors program and is part of a small group that is creating a new student organization, Local Organic Cooking Organization, or LOCO.

Name: Kathryn Snow
Year: Junior
Hometown: Cincinnati, OH
Major: Business

HC: What is LOCO and what was the inspiration behind it?
KS: LOCO is a brand-new student organization here on campus! It stands for Local Organic Cooking Organization and it’s focused on bringing food from the student farm and other local farms to campus and then allowing students to use it for cooking. There will be opportunities to work at the farm, learn how to incorporate the produce into creative cooking ideas, go to farmers markets, and learn about local food in Columbus. A friend of mine had the idea and asked me to help start this organization because she knew about my interest in the environment and eating locally grown foods is something that ties into that.

HC: What is the best way for students to get involved with LOCO?
KS: Email me (snow.157)! I can easily add you to a listserv and make sure you are given all the information you need in order to join us.

HC: What are all the organizations/events you are involved in at OSU?
KS: I am a member of Delta Sigma Pi, which is a Business Fraternity that participates in many professional and networking opportunities, as well as service events.  Also, for the past two years, I was a scholar in the Advocates for Children and Education Scholars Program, which led me to getting involved with College Mentors for Kids where you get your very own little buddy to teach and play with every week!

HC: What are you most excited about for the upcoming year?
KS:  FOOTBALL!!!! I am going to Ann Arbor for the Michigan game this year to see them lose in The Big House. 

HC: What is your best advice for balancing time for studies and all the extracurriculars that are offered here?
KS: Just pick a couple things that truly interest you and put a lot of energy into those and then it will just come naturally. Definitely don’t spread yourself too thin because you still need time to have fun! College should not be all work.