Jarad Pennington: OSU’s Biggest Fan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Name: Jarad Pennington

Year: Sophomore

Major: Biological Engineering

Hometown: Fairlawn, Ohio

Her Campus got the chance to interview sophomore Jarad Pennington, who had plenty to say about the the limitless opportunites and experiences that come with being a buckeye. One cannot help but share his pride in the university we call our home.

HC: Why did you choose OSU?

JP: Everybody has a dream school that they want to attend when they graduate high school… mine was The Ohio State University. The Ohio State community provides so many opportunities to meet a lot of amazing people and to really explore your interests with the diversity of programs available. In addition, I loved what I saw around campus when I first visited the school. So many students had places to go and people they knew. It was cool to see how close-knit everyone was for being one of the largest campuses in the nation.

HC: Why would you say OSU is the best school out there?

JP: I’ve always been in love with the university. Everything about it – the people, the academics, the athletics, the feel that goes along with being a buckeye. It’s a great thing to be able to say that you are a student here and to take pride in your school. To be able to have that connection with the rest of the students on game day, or during mirror lake jump is pretty cool. It doesn’t get much better than spending the day with your friends, whether it’s watching the bucks win a national championship or just going the the library to study together.

HC: What clubs or activities are you involved in?

JP: As a sophomore, this is now my second year as a member of Ohio State’s tennis club. Being a state qualifier for tennis in high school, it is nice to be able to still play in competitive tournaments across the nation as a team. I joined the team when I was a freshman and have made some of my best friends through the club. Having a team of such close and welcoming people that share my love for the sport is a great thing to be a part of. In addition, I am also looking to spend more of my time helping with less fortunate people around the community through Buckeye Strive. Buckeye Strive is a non profit organization that helps homeless people and foster children through innovative ways, such as photojournalism and local connections. The concept behind the program just sounds amazing to me and I’m excited to see what I can bring to it.

HC: Why should people join tennis club? 

JP: Joining Ohio State’s tennis club was one of the best decisions I have made as a buckeye. It has allowed me to meet so many great people who all share the love of the sport and our university. The club welcomes all people to go out for tennis as it’s a a fun way to get some exercise while also making new friends. 

HC: How do you feel about OSU winning the National Championship?

JP: Winning the CFB National Championship was the greatest way to show how strong our athletics are here at OSU. To be questioned and doubted all throughout the season, especially when we were just barely given the 4 seed, and then showing up all of the analysts and criticizers by winning the entire championship was really an amazing accomplishment. All it does is allow for Ohio State students to be able to take more pride in their school. All I have to say is – “In Urban, We trust!”

HC: What advice would you give to people thinking of attending OSU?

JP: Just visit the campus. That is all I needed to confirm my love for the school. Come experience the joy in being able to call yourself a buckeye. Come enjoy the benefits of having one of the largest alumni bodies across the world. Come enjoy game day with us and take in the tradition that The Ohio State University maintains.

I just recently transferred to OSU and am currently a sophomore studying English. Already being surrounded by all that OSU has to offer in such a short time has made me realize I made the right choice. I see limitless opportunities around me waiting to be accessed and experienced. I plan to make the most out of my time here at The Ohio State University.