This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Ipsy is a monthly subscription box that sends you five beauty products in a small makeup bag for just $10 a month. The process is pretty simple. You make an account, take a beauty quiz to get personalized selections in your subscription and receive a package every month. But does it live up to the hype?

I signed up for Ipsy because I wanted something to be excited for every month without paying a large amount of money or getting the same thing every month. Everyone gets a slightly different box, based on your beauty preferences, which you can change at any time. While most products are a smaller size, you often get makeup brushes or other items that surpass the $10 price by themselves. I got my first box this past September, and I was pleasantly surprised. I put my beauty preferences as relatively normal, but also made sure to exclude products I don’t use often like brow gels or bright lipsticks. So, what is the value of an average Ipsy bag? Here’s what I received. 

1. Trestique Mini Lip Glaze in English Rose

I asked for mostly reds and pinks in lip products, and this product was a good combination of both! I’ve also never used a “glaze” before, so it was a great addition to my lip collection. While the included size was a “mini,” the full size is valued at $25. 

2. Luxie 110 Flat Blender Harley Quinn

This brush is so soft, and I love the theming! It was a steal, since it is normally valued at $20.

3. Paula Dorf Bronzer in Bronze Glimmer

The only thing I don’t like about this product is that the trial size is so small I can barely get a brush in the pan. That being said, the color is gorgeous, and I love the shimmer! The bag included a trial size, but the full size, which comes with a brush, is valued at $32.

4. Smashbox Photo Finish Primerizer

I have been wanting to try this for so long, and I was so glad to see it in this September box. You don’t need a lot, so I think the small trial size included will last me at least two weeks or so. The full size is much larger, valued at $42. 

5. Manna Kadar Long Wear Mineral Powders in Radiance

This brand was the only one I had never heard of, and I was pleasantly surprised with it. Originally, I thought it was just an eyeshadow, but the product description lists it as in all-in-one highlighter, bronzer, blush, and shadow duo. I’m pretty sure the decent size included in the bag is just slightly smaller than the full size, which is valued at $21. 

Accounting for the difference in price between full size and trial sizes, I calculated the total value of my bag (including the small makeup bag it all came in) to be approximately $45. This may seem like a lot, but consider that I received a full-size brush valued at $20. Overall, however, I was really impressed with Ipsy, and I can’t wait to receive my October bag!

Want to keep up with Her Campus OSU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board and read our latest Tweets

Jordyn studies Natural Resource Management at Ohio State and is passionate about the conservation of wildlife and the environment. She enjoys fashion, beauty, and writing. Follow her on Twitter @JordynShoff.