“I Am a Woman”: Bruce Jenner’s Revelation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Reality television star, Bruce Jenner, mostly known for his stardom as Kylie and Kendall Jenner’s father, as well as an Olympian athlete, has come out as a woman. He simply stated just that, “I am a woman.” To some people this may come as an astonishing surprise, but rumors have spread about him for the past year questioning his change in appearance and his attempt at hiding from the Hollywood spotlight. When photographers released pictures of Bruce Jenner crying in his car, people questioned even more what could possibly be happening to Bruce Jenner. Soon, the public learned of the hidden torment he’s been trying so hard to suppress… Bruce Jenner has and now proudly states his identification as a woman and we applaud him. It could not have been easy.

In his recent interview with Diane Sawyer, he holds back tears as he says, “I’ve been thinking about this day forever, and what should I do with my life; how do I tell my story? How do I tell people what I’ve been through? And that day is today.” He further describes how tough it has been for him and still is, but now he is being honest with himself. People might question how long Bruce Jenner has been dealing with this hidden identity and he reveals that he has always been confused with his gender identity since he was a small child, but now he knows this is who he is. Through this new revelation, he also imparts what it feels like to struggle with gender identity. He disagrees with the stereotype of ‘a woman being stuck in a man’s body.’ He hits peoples’ heartstrings as he claims he is not stuck; he just merely has the soul, heart, and brain of a woman and he is tired of lying not only to the world, but to himself. Through his exposure he wants people to understand that even though he is biologically and genetically male, this has nothing to do with who he is as a person, which has and forever will be the soul of a female.

Furthermore, rumors were spread that Bruce Jenner only did this as a publicity stunt for the reality show, but he laughs about these erroneous rumors. He questions why he would go through this inner struggle for a show; the concept of such a thing is mindboggling to him. With this, we see this revelation is most certaintly not a stunt and merely an act of human bravery to come out as who you really are. Furthermore, he revealed that his interview with Diane Sawyer “was the last interview he would do as Bruce” to now reemerge as his true identity.

Following this new disclosure, he not only wants to do good in his life by coming out for himself; he also wants to make a difference in the world by inspiring and helping other transgendered people just like him, with the hope the world will be a more accepting place. Let’s start by accepting Bruce as her true self.

I just recently transferred to OSU and am currently a sophomore studying English. Already being surrounded by all that OSU has to offer in such a short time has made me realize I made the right choice. I see limitless opportunities around me waiting to be accessed and experienced. I plan to make the most out of my time here at The Ohio State University.