How To Make Long Distance Friendships Last

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

College has finally come around, and you’re more excited than ever. There’s just one problem – you can’t take your mom, your friends or your dog with you. Here’s how to tackle long distance friendships and make it feel like you never left home!

Random FaceTime Calls

My cross-country bestie and I love doing this! Without a warning text, we’ll just FaceTime each other. It’s incredibly fun because you will be doing homework, shopping at target or doing something boring, and you will get a call from one of your favorite people. Definitely recommend this!

Be Pen Pals

I know being pen pals is one of those things that seems really cute, but usually each person only writes one letter then the chain ends. Stick with it! I write a good friend and its much more personal to get a letter with their handwriting than a text. We also try to incorporate a small gift in the card, like a sticker or a flier!

Text Them Spontaneous Pics

Sending your friend a random picture of a poster on campus that reminded you of them is so thoughtful. Random, but consistent communication is the (major) KEY in order to maintain long distance friendships. Just let them know you are thinking of them and missing them while away from home!

Plan Trips Months in Advance

Being able to look forward to seeing your BFF is much more comforting than feeling like you will never see them again. Make plans! We’re all adults; plans don’t tend to just form out of thin air. Get out your planners and make it official!

College makes friendships challenging, but hopefully with a little bit of work and communication, you and your bestie can make it work!

Want to keep up with Her Campus OSU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board and read our latest Tweets

Second Year Strategic Communications major at THE Ohio State University