How I, Someone Who Always Hated Reading, Fell in Love With Reading

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

If you have always wanted to enjoy reading but have never been able to get into it, you might be like me. My whole life, I saw reading as a chore that I wanted to avoid at all costs. But in the last year, I have developed a love for reading. Here’s my tips and suggestions for falling back in love with reading: 

Choose a genre

My first piece of advice is to do some research on what books you might have interest in. I started by searching on Google and looked for what books were popular. Finding popular authors and genres really helped me to narrow down what books I wanted to be looking for.

I knew that I liked fiction and romance so I would look up books in those genres. TikTok and YouTube have great book reviews, so I looked there and found books that caught my eye. Sometimes, you may not know what genre you love until you try reading a book in that genre. I think if you choose books that are the same genre as the television series or movies you enjoy, you can find the perfect genre for you.

Adventure to a bookstore

Going to the bookstore might be my favorite part of finding and reading a new book! Going into a bookstore has become a favorite activity of mine because I love looking through all of the books, reading their summaries and finding one I might like. Some may say not to judge a book by its cover, but I think this is the best way to find books sometimes!

I always start by going to the best seller section at the bookstore and then navigating to the romance and fiction sections. Leaving the bookstore with new books is such a good feeling and makes me so eager to start each book. I hope that you can find books that make you feel this way too!

Find a quiet and comfortable space to read

I think what helped me to enjoy reading most is finding my own space to read in. Finding a quiet and comfortable space to read in is essential when you are trying to get into reading. If there are distractions, for me at least, it is hard to focus and be totally invested in the book. I have found that when I am sitting outside without my phone I can read and focus completely. This is really important because if your mind is wandering and you aren’t completely focused, you will probably never get into the book and end up being confused since you missed certain parts by day dreaming about other things. I also have a hard time reading when I am around other people because I get easily distracted. So, if you are anything like me, I would definitely suggest starting reading by yourself in a quiet space so nothing can interrupt you.

I think it’s really important that the book hooks you right away if you haven’t always liked to read When you are really hooked, you might read so much more than you would have ever imagined. So, when you are searching for books, don’t settle. Find books that make you so excited that you read it as soon as possible. I realized that it may take time to find a book that is perfect for you, but if you give it time and continue looking, you will hopefully have an “aha” moment with a book and develop your love for reading.

Season reading

Each season has different places that are perfect for reading. My favorite season for reading right now is summer. Because I am not in school, I can fully focus on reading for my own enjoyment. I love laying outside by the beach or pool and soaking up the sun and story.

On the other hand, I love waking up in the white winters, getting cozy by a fireplace, cuddled up in a blanket, drinking hot tea and getting to read all day. During the fall months I love looking outside the window and seeing the beautiful colors of the trees and having this scenery as my background while I read. And as far as spring goes, seeing the flowers finally blossom and the sun return is a picture-perfect setting to get into reading. You can probably find the perfect place to read in any season, at any time of the day wherever you are, but finding a season that you love to read in is the best.

My latest reads

The first book I read was called “Float Plan”, and I was so proud of myself for finally reading a book for my own enjoyment. I like finding books that are an easy read and something I can get through pretty quickly. Right now I am reading “Love & Gelato” and I really love it. It is a longer book, however, I love it so much that I wish it were even longer! I would suggest this book to anyone who is just getting into reading, it feels like a quick, easy summer read.

Being able to get into books can be hard, until you find the right book for you. You might hear that a lot, but finding a book that is the right fit for you is so important and may change your entire outlook on reading. If someone had told me to try reading two years ago I probably wouldn’t have even given that idea the time of day, but now that I have found a few books that I really like, I believe in finding the right book for you and loving it once you do. I hope you too can go to the bookstore, find some amazing books, and fall in love with reading.

Katriel Orlean is an intern for the National Writing Program at Her Campus as well as the Instagram and Facebook editor at her Her Campus's Ohio State University chapter. She creates graphics for her chapter's Instagram and Facebook, posts new articles on both social medias, and helps to recruit members through Instagram. During her time as a writer for the NWP, she writes evergreen articles as well as articles that are news based. She writes about five to six articles per month for this program. Beyond Her Campus, Katriel is an intern for Spoon University where she writes 8-10 articles per month. These articles are sometimes evergreen but mostly they are based on timely news in the food world. She is currently a senior at The Ohio State University, majoring in Communications Analysis & Engagement. In her free time, Katriel loves to travel, workout, play tennis and pickle ball, and hang out with family and friends. She is a buckeye through and through and loves to exude all of her school spirit at the Ohio State football games. She loves to write, especially for HC!