Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How I Found My Love Language and How You Can Find Yours

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Love languages: a way for us to show and receive love without just saying those three words: “I love you.” Lately, I have been reflecting on a lot about myself as a person as well as what I seek in my friends, family and relationships. With that, I just recently learned that there are five love languages, and usually we resonate strongly with one of them, although I definitely find myself longing for all five in different ways at times. The five languages are words of affirmation, quality time, acts of service, physical touch, and receiving gifts. 

It took me a long time to figure out what my love language was and why it was that, but after coming to this conclusion, I have found peace within my relationships and friendships, and I can use this to strengthen those relationships. 

Spend time reflecting on yourself

I love to chat with my family and friends at any hour of the day. Often during these chats, deep conversation may arise, and we might be able to reflect. Similarly, therapy is a place where I dedicate one hour a week to deeply thinking about myself and working on myself. Without therapy, I don’t think I would know half of the things about myself that I know today. Therapy allows us to take our minds off of school and work, and think about ourselves for a little while. Being able to reflect on yourself as a person and understand yourself deeper can lead to a lot of positive changes in your life. I started going to a therapist about three months ago, and I have learned so much about myself, including my love language and why it is so important to know this. Understanding my love language explains why I am the way I am and can help to find good friends and significant others. 

So… what is my love language? 

I definitely think, generally speaking, that words of affirmation is my love language. Hearing positive compliments, words of encouragement and/or motivation, etc., helps me to feel the best about myself that I can and keeps me feeling confident. To me, there is simply nothing better than feeling appreciated and loved, and nothing warms my heart more than an out-of-the-blue text from a loved one expressing their love for you. In return, I also love sending those texts or letters to make others feel good about themselves, too. Understanding that this is something that makes me feel most loved has helped me to make my relationships with others stronger because I value those words of affirmation so much more now when I receive them, knowing that is something I appreciate, and I try to give others those words of affirmation in exchange, too. 

Take a love language quiZ!

Take a quick online quiz to understand your love language. This quiz is short and sweet, and it tells you the love language you resonate with most. I strongly recommend anyone to take this quiz, spend time reflecting on yourself, and understanding your love language; you wont regret it.

Katriel Orlean was previously an intern for the National Writing Program at Her Campus as well as the Instagram and Facebook editor at her Her Campus's Ohio State University chapter. She created graphics for her chapter's Instagram and Facebook, posted new articles on both social medias, and helps to recruit members through Instagram. During her time as a writer for the NWP, she wrote evergreen articles as well as articles that are news based. She wrote about five to six articles per month for this program. Beyond Her Campus, Katriel was an intern for Spoon University where she wrote 8-10 articles per month. These articles were sometimes evergreen and mostly they are based on timely news in the food world. She is a recent graduate from The Ohio State University, with a degree in Communications Analysis & Engagement. In her free time, Katriel loves to travel, workout, play tennis and pickle ball, and hang out with family and friends. She is a buckeye through and through and loves to exude all of her school spirit at the Ohio State football games. She loves to write, especially for HC!