How To Deal With Classes You Can’t Stand (But Have To Take)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

There is no way of getting around the fact that a good majority of college classes will not be enjoyable. Before coming in as a freshman last year, I had this grandiose idea that I would finally be taking classes focused on my marketing major. I was so excited to study things I was actually interested in and would use later in life. I was very mistaken. And it has only gotten worse since starting sophomore year.

Last year, I sat in my orientation and looked at the mock schedule they had mapped out for me. I immediately realized that it would be a long time before I actually took a marketing class (looking like senior year, to be exact). In order to even take Intro to Marketing, I have to complete a slew of science, math, and literature courses. This process is by no means limited to the business school; most people I know aren’t in courses that target their intended careers.  

I do understand the benefits of being a well-rounded individual, but it is extremely hard to apply myself when I have zero interest in a class. For example, I’m currently taking earth science, and it’s not fun. In order to keep myself relatively sane, I’m trying to have a more positive outlook.

If you are in a similar situation to mine, which I assume many of you are, I think the best thing to do is to remember that every class will teach you something. It may not directly apply to your major, but every time you study for a class, you learn more about what helps you succeed. Also, you’re paying for the course, so you’re going to want to do well. A poor grade from lack of trying is only going to make your GPA and future classes worse.

When all my pre-requisites are over, I am going to be one happy girl. As for now, I encourage you and myself to power through. These classes may seem trivial, and they will be annoying. However, once they’re over, you’ll have the satisfaction that you accomplished what you had to do. And maybe in five years, you’ll be able to answer a trivia question correctly from what you learned in earth science.

Want to keep up with Her Campus OSU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board and read our latest Tweets

Senior Marketing student at The Ohio State University with a minor in Fashion and Retail Studies