HC Sits Down With Maggie Brim

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

This week HC OSU had the chance to sit down with She’s The First President, Maggie Brim!

What’s Your Major:

Double Major in Public Health + English

What Do you Want Do After You Graduate?:

I want to go in to the Peace Corps and get involved with the Let Girls Learn Initiative and work in youth and community development

What’s your favorite college memory: 

Studying abroad in India 

Tell us about your abroad trip to India:

I did a public health May-mester, focusing on global public health, 

we did 12th field trips ranging from community health visits in slums to visiting cashew factories to learn about occupational public health. I studied at Manipal University while I was there!

What made you want to get involved with She’s The First?:

I joined 2nd semester of my first year, I was interested in issues that girls face and this was one of the few clubs that was really targeting direct access to girls education.

Explain the mission of She’s The First:

STF raises funds and awareness for girl’s education in low income countries. We seek allow girls to be the first in their family to graduate secondary school, positioning them to be leaders in their community

What kinds of ways does STF raise money?

All STF chapters including us host a tie dye cupcake sale between Oct. 11 (UN’s international Day of The Girl) and Nov 1st (The Birthday of She’s The First). In the spring we get to create our own fundraiser. This year we’re Doing A “Cheese the First” event, so get ready if you like grilled cheese!

What do you like the most about STF?

I like how we have a line of communication lines with the sponsors, they know who we are and we know who they are. We get to respond to letters from them and it really shows how much of a direct impact we’ve made.

Emme is a journalism major and graphic design minor at THE Ohio State University. She is new to HerCampus but is so excited to get involved with the HC community. When she isn't writing for HC, she spends her writing for her own blog at www.emmereed.com, fangirling over Halsey and the Kardashians, playing the ukulele, shopping online, and eating avocado toast. She aspires to one day be the Duchess of Cambridge or Anna Wintour or a combination of the two.