A Guide to Ohio State’s Best On-Campus Study Spots

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

It’s officially freezing outside. And for the students like myself, sitting outdoors to do work is now a long-forgotten dream. Never fear, I’m here to help fix all of your problems…or, at least this one. Now that most classes are held online, being stuck in a dorm all day is the last thing any student wants.

Without further ado, here are my top three places on Ohio State’s campus to hunker down and work — beyond a simple table at Thompson.

Orton Memorial Library of Geology

Located in Orton Hall, the Geology Library is my favorite place of all time to get work done. Orton Hall is one of the three oldest buildings on campus and is located between the Oval and the South Oval. The outside is a cool combination of different-colored stones; inside, the wooden tables and floors create a cozy and warm atmosphere that is incredibly conducive to being productive. There are tables available for students to use, but another fun feature about the library is that there are separate work cubicles where one can take advantage of slightly more privacy.

I love utilizing the cubicles because they’re helpful for my personal study habits. I get distracted by every little thing, so they force me to focus. These cubicles have outlets for charging, so you don’t need to worry about your computer’s battery life. This is an underutilized study space, meaning that when I go inside I’m typically one of three people there. Take advantage of this library when you need your own space, and reserve a seat using this link. The library is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The Architecture Library

This is, in my opinion, the coolest library to do work in. It’s located in modern Knowlton Hall; if you think the building looks intimidating to go into at first, you’re not alone, but don’t let that stop you. The library is open to the public and is located on the fourth floor of the building.

I personally like to sit right by the window to soak up as much natural light as I can during the winter. In warmer months, I’ve ventured onto the roof (also open to students) after finishing my work. The Architecture Library is similar to the Orton Memorial Library of Geology in the sense that no one really uses it, so you’re almost guaranteed a space. However, you don’t need to reserve a seat — you can just show up, wipe down your space with a provided wet wipe and get your work done. The library has tables with two seats available at each one, so bring a friend if you’re so inclined.

Something to be aware of: there is only one seat with an outlet, so make sure your things are well-charged when you want to work here. In the same fashion as the Geology Library, this library is open weekdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The Ohio Union

Okay, so this place isn’t a rare find, but I genuinely do like it. It’s especially convenient for group work or Zoom meetings when you need a place to talk and not worry about disturbing anyone. It gets packed around lunchtime because it’s home to quite a few dining areas, so I like to use it closer to dinnertime because there are more seats available then. There are three levels to the building, and seats are scattered all around. You really just have to go in and scope out the area.

The Union is open from 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on weekdays and 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on weekends.

These are my three favorite places on campus to get things done, especially now that it’s full-blown winter. If you make an appearance at these libraries, there’s a chance you’ll see me with my blue-light glasses on, probably struggling to create an Excel sheet for my computer science class — but in a cute, aesthetic way…obviously. The libraries make me feel smart, and if you’re like me, getting things done in a pretty place is twice as rewarding. It can be nearly impossible to work effectively in a dorm room with a roommate napping on the bed at the same time.

Do your study habits a favor and utilize these places.

Hi :) I'm Gabrielle! I'm a second year Marketing Major, minoring in English. My favorite things are reading, drinking iced lattes with oat milk, and watching Claire Saffitz's Youtube videos!