Giuliana Rancic Inspires Ohio State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

After having to reschedule her original April visit, E! News sensation Giuliana Rancic finally made her way to the Ohio Union on Sunday, May 6th.

A large audience of college women (and a few men!) gathered in the West Ballroom that evening to hear her personal story.

Giuliana began by describing her passion for journalism at a young age, as well as choosing to pursue the interest by attending the University of Maryland, College Park and then American University in Washington D.C. to obtain her Master’s Degree in the field.

With the help of one of her professors, she came to realize that hard news might not be the best fit for her, but rather stories about celebrities in Hollywood.

“I thought to myself, ‘I don’t wanna talk about Bosnia!  I wanna talk about Clooney!’” she recalled.

After graduation, Giuliana wasted little time before heading out to Hollywood to pursue her dreams, though at first that meant starting off in the mailroom of a talent agency.   She shared a rather hilarious anecdote about unexpectedly delivering mail to Leonardo DiCaprio and later discovering she had a chunk of relish in her teeth during their encounter.

She also discussed her struggle to achieve her dream job as an entertainer reporter, and how even after her first experience with E! did not go so well, she refused to quit trying.

After years of perseverance and a little bit of luck, Giuliana now co-hosts E! News, appears on the program Fashion Police, and has her own reality show on Style Network with husband Bill (who also made a surprise appearance at the event!).

Finally, Giuliana spoke about two more personal issues in her life: being diagnosed with breast cancer and her struggles with infertility.  However, she is determined to stay positive, and she and Bill are expecting a baby this summer via surrogacy.

As a special gift regarding the happy news, OUAB asked many students to sign a poster with their congratulatory wishes for the couple.

The night then ended with a Q&A session, during which Giuliana graciously offered advice, compliments, and inspirational answers.

Ashley Savage, a second year student in fashion merchandising, greatly enjoyed her visit.

“She seemed like a down-to-earth and really happy person. Her career-orientated goals got her where she is today and she truly is a real role model by showing just how hard she worked,” Ashley said.

Kali Grant is the founding Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for the OSU chapter of Her Campus. Kali is pursuing a B.A. in Public Affairs at the John Glenn School with a minor in Communication and is excited to be in her senior year. Kali is a student research assistant at the Glenn School and is a proud member of the Zeta Alpha chapter of Chi Omega. Kali has spent her collegiate summers interning with The Institute on Women and The Salvation Army and studying Spanish in Buenos Aires, Argentina. When she’s not daydreaming about returning to New Orleans and San Francisco, Kali loves drinking coffee, talking about cats and politics, and trying out questionable vegetarian recipes.