Get Ready for Spring with a Homemade Spa

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

Warmer days are upon us here in central Ohio, and we’re finally taking out our capris, shorts, and tank tops for the first time in months. This transitional time between the end of winter and the beginning of spring is the perfect opportunity to treat yourself to an at-home spa, which will make you look and feel fresher than the flowers that are popping up on campus!

I’m a big fan of homemade scrubs and masks. They’re easy to whip up, cheap because most of the ingredients are already in my kitchen, and they work like a charm.

1. Body Scrubs

Body scrubs are a great way to get soft, smooth skin. The simplest ones use a 2:1 ratio of sugar and oil, but you can play around with that ratio to decide if you prefer a more dry or a more wet product. I have two go-to sugar scrubs: brown sugar vanilla and green tea. For the first, you need brown sugar and any type of oil – olive, coconut, and avocado are very moisturizing! Add a little bit of vanilla extract to the mix for a nice scent. The green tea scrub uses a few spoonfuls of brewed green tea, the leaves from a green tea bag, white sugar, and oil. To use your sugar scrub, take a bath or shower and scrub away! Wash off any excess sugar with body wash, and make sure to put on plenty of lotion.

2. Lip Scrub

Chapped lips can be softened using another sugar- and oil-based scrub. Mix white sugar, olive oil, and honey into a thick paste. Rub it all over your lips and rinse it off with warm water. Make sure to finish off with a repairing lip product like Smith’s Minted Rose Lip Balm – it smells great and has a light pink tint.

3. Face Mask

Using just cinnamon and honey, you can make a face mask that freshens your face and makes it feel super soft. Make a paste of the two ingredients and gently rub it all over your face, avoiding your eyes. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes, and rinse it off using warm water. Wash your face with soap afterwards, and apply toner if you have some. This mask may be too harsh for sensitive skin, so be sure to test it on a small area (like a spot on your forearm) before using it!

4. Hair Mask

This hair mask does wonders. Mix up a paste of baking soda and water, and then work it through your dry hair from root to tip. Using a shower cap or a substitute (like a plastic grocery bag), get your hair out of your face and let the mask work its magic for about 20 minutes. After that interval, rinse the paste out and wash your hair, which will be softer, fluffier, and easier to style once it dries.

Now you, your skin, and your hair are rejuvenated and ready for spring!