Five Disney Must-Watch Halloween Movies to Get in the Spooky Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

As a 2000s baby, watching Disney Halloween movies was a must-do activity every fall. Although I’m in college now, this tradition will continue for years to come. Who wouldn’t want to curl up on the couch to binge-watch scary, but not too scary, Halloween movies?

Below are five Disney movies that will get you in the spooky spirit this Halloween season.

“Halloweentown”

Join Marnie, Sophie and Dylan as they adventure with their mother and Grandma Aggie, who are magical witches. Watch as Marnie discovers her magical powers and how they all fight evil as a family in the unique place known as Halloweentown. Not only is this a thrilling Halloween movie on its own, but there are also three more movies that continue the haunted story.

“Twitches”

After being separated at birth, Alex and Camryn reunite as adults when they find out they have the same magical powers. As witches, the two are challenged with saving their birthplace, the magical kingdom. To add onto the beauty of this film, a fun fact is that it’s called “Twitches” because the two are “twin witches.” Also, you can follow up on the twins’ adventures when you watch “Twitches Too,” the movie’s sequel.

“The Nightmare before christmas”

Jack Skellington, the king of Halloween Town, wants to spice up his repetitive life when he stumbles upon Christmas Town. When he reaches this unheard-of territory, he is pleasantly surprised at what he sees and wants to bring back everything he learned. Many people debate whether this movie is a Halloween movie or a Christmas movie, but I think it’s a great animated film to watch at any point during fall.

“The haunted mansion”

Jim Evers, played by Eddie Murphy, and his family think they are taking a relaxing vacation, but really they end up at a creepy, haunted mansion. Since Jim is a real estate agent, he must sell the mansion, but he finds out it’s hard to escape the haunted ghost of Master Gracey. This spooky tale makes me hope I never come across a creepy ghost in my house!

“Hocus pocus”

After searching through an abandoned house, Max, Dani and Allison accidentally let out three witches that they were punished in Salem, Massachusetts due to practicing witchcraft 300 years ago. The three kids must save everyone from the curse of the witches, as they have one night to stop them from becoming immortal. If you watched this film and can’t get enough, you’re in luck! In September, Disney released “Hocus Pocus 2,” available on Disney+ today.

Although this list has only some of my favorite Disney Halloween movies, there are so many more to choose from. If you want to watch family-friendly movies that add some haunted energy in your life, you should definitely check these out. Curl up on the couch, eat piles and piles of Halloween candy and enjoy as these thrilling stories unfold.

Happy Halloween and happy binge-watching!

OSU 2024 Strategic Communication major