The Lalaplaid Socks Brick Wall
The Lalaplaid Socks Brick Wall
Her Campus Media
Style > Fashion

Must-Have Fall Fashion Staples

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

I realized recently that I don’t have a lot of staples in my closet. I went through a long phase of buying bright colors, funky prints, graphic tees and cursing myself for it when I get dressed in the morning. Looking toward the upcoming season, I’m determined to fill my closet with staples to elevate my looks and pair more casual and simple items with more intense and fun ones.

• Turtlenecks

A really easy way to up your style in fall is layering! Turtlenecks in any color make it so easy to pair with just about anything in your closet. We’ve all seen them styled under sweatshirts, tank tops and blazers, and I think it’s perfect to stay warm and still be cute. No matter how early or late into the season it is, turtlenecks are a cute fall fashion option.

• Printed Tights

Tights are really important so that you can keep wearing your skirts and shorts. To spice up adding a bit of warmth to your outfits, get tights that have prints and colors! Floral, blue, skull print, pink, hearts, green and countless other designs will complement your outfit. There are cute tights waiting to keep you warm and finish the perfect fit.

• Ankle boots

I want a pair of Doc Martens Chelsea Boots incredibly badly because I feel like I’m missing out on completed fall aesthetic outfits without them. Since they aren’t full boots that go all the way up your calf, they’re easier to wear as an everyday staple in a basic brown, white, or brown. You can pair them with cute fuzzy socks to stick out the top to be cute and extra warm on colder days.

• Fun socks

Hear me out: socks and sandals. I think it is absolutely adorable to wear printed socks in your platform sandals that you wore all summer. It adds an extra accessory to your outfit with little effort, keeps your feet warm and lets you wear more of your shoe options! The best part is, you can find them anywhere. Walmart will have cheaper pairs, but your favorite department stores also has more higher quality options if that’s what you’re looking for.

• Maxi skirts

On the colder days closer to winter, you can wear tights or even leggings as a second layer to keep you warm without worrying about them matching the rest of the outfit. It’ll protect you from the wind without encasing your legs uncomfortably if you aren’t a fan of jeans. You can also hold on to the more summery look this way by having the flowy bottoms.

• Cropped jackets

Since it’s not too cold out yet, we don’t have to break out the heavy-duty, ankle-length coats. Cropped jackets give you the exact look of protecting yourself from the breeze without packing too much extra material on. If you are looking for a DIY project to take on, you can try cropping some lightweight jackets, hoodies and sweatshirts that are already in your closet.

• Flannels and Button Ups

These are perfect for layering over and under so many things. I’d even suggest a variety in a looser and tighter fit as they can give off different vibes and fit better depending on how you want to style them. For example, under a sweater vest you’ll want your button up to fit closer to your body to avoid awkward puckering. Over a sweater though, you’ll want a flannel to fit bigger so that it fits over the sleeves.

Class of 2023 English Creative Writing major with minors in Professional Writing and Fashion and Retail Studies from Norman, Oklahoma.