Emma Watson: Winner of the Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

After Emma Watson’s emphatic speech on gender equality in September 2014, she has blossomed into a role model for young feminists and a light of hope for those suffering from gender discrimination. Watson has truly embraced her role as a UN Women Goodwill Ambassador through the launching of the HeForShe Campaign, which reaches out to men to help the grueling fight on sexism.

If you did not think Emma Watson was a solid 10 on the Coolness Scale before, just wait and hear about the week that she’s had. First, on January 23, Watson delivered another inspiring speech on gender equality, this time at the World Economic Forum in Switzerland. Watson also challenged listeners to implement gender equality in their everyday lives, whether it be at home, with friends or in the classroom. She even bulldozed the equality-haters with this incredible line: “Women share this planet 50/50 and they are underrepresented, their potential astonishingly tapped.” Dang.

Are you oozing with empowerment yet? Just wait! On January 28, Watson took her wisdom to Twitter and answered questions revolving around equality, confidence and the HeForShe Campaign. She delivered some excellent tweets, encouraging young women to persevere and go after their dreams, like the feminist-big-sister we have always dreamed of! (If only we could borrow from Watson’s closet like real sisters do…)

And finally, to finish off such a whirlwind of a week, Watson just revealed that she will be playing Belle in the live-action film Beauty and the Beast.  Kudos to you, girl!

We at OSU Her Campus hope Watson’s memorable actions have given you ladies a little extra mojo to embrace your true potential in class, with friends, in relationships and on campus. Be strong, confident and inspiring. You go girls!

Sources: Twitter, Huffington Post, E! Online, Google Images