Bropinions: Hair Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

At one point or another, I’m sure most of you have wondered what your man really thinks of some of the trends you’ve sported. From faux fur vests that resemble wild animals and camel-toe endorsing high-waisted jeans to red lips that could go from sexy to scary clown within seconds, I think it’s fair to say that a lot of the styles we love haven’t always been the most man-friendly. Well, HCOSU decided it’s time to get the opinions of guys here at Ohio State. So, we’ll begin a series of “Bropinions” articles to find out what our gents really think of our favorite looks and other racy topics.

Starting from the top: hair. 

Top Knots

Looks like the so-called hipster bun has gone mainstream. As its popularity has grown, the trend has been renamed the “top knot.” Personally, I’ve always been a huge fan of any kind of bun. The effortless and easy look is perfect for some of us low-maintenance (or maybe just lazy) hair girls out there. But this up-do has other perks, as well. It’s also a great way to show off an embellished collared top or open back shirt. Looking for a more polished look? Try the ballerina bun. Both of these styles are not only great for sluggish days, but can also be dressed up for a day at the office or a night out. Thanks to countless red carpet celebrities, the bun has proved itself worthy of being a chic, elegant look, as well. Messy or neat, this versatile hairstyle can work any day of the week, wherever you’re headed.

A common phrase I hear from girls is, “It’s so cute, but I could never pull it off.” Well, think again, fearless friend! I challenge you to give the knot a try. Just use these simple steps:

http://www.bellasugar.com/How-Do-Topknot-24173672

Still having trouble getting this trend down? No worries. The look doesn’t need to be perfect; play around with it. For all you perfectionists out there, we’ve got a trick for you, too: the sock. Use an old, but clean, sock to roll your pony into the perfect bun. Otherwise, you can always buy a pre-made one.

http://www.weddingchicks.com/2012/04/07/diy-sock-bun/
http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=25009879

Now for the real question: What do our fellow Buckeye bros think of our buns? (And no, boys, we’re not talking about the body part.)

“It’s repulsive; I would ask her to take it out.” – Freshman

“It looks weird. It looks like a little kid, but not in a cute way. Just creepy.” – Freshman

“It’s okay. It’s something I think would be appropriate when girls are lounging, not necessarily to go out with.” – Junior

“Unattractive.” – Freshman

“It seems like she’s trying something new out, but it’s just not working for her.” – Sophomore

“If the buns not too big, then it’s okay.” – Freshman

Other hairstyles we love:

Ombré:

Whether you’re too lazy to get your roots done from your still-recovering sun-dyed summer hair or you’re looking to splurge at the salon, the ombré trend is a must try if you’re wanting to change your look. It’s been in style for a while now and an easy way to play up your hair color.

Bropinions:

“It looks fake. Obviously that’s not your natural hair color. “ – Freshman

“Just pick a color. One color.” – Freshman

“Not a fan. Semi-cute, but I like hair, for the most part, a solid color. Either dark or light.” – Junior

Colored Tips:

An edgy way to change up your hair color is by adding some less conservative, fun colors to the ends. Pink and turquoise seem to be the more popular color choices, but don’t feel limited to just those colors. The style is a bit more daring than some of the other looks, but throw it in a bun and you can quickly hide the colored tips if need be.

And now for some more bropinions:

“Stop trying to be like Ke$ha.” – Freshman

“As long as it’s not too extreme, it can be cool.” – Freshman

“Unique and a little freaky.” – Sophomore

“Colored tips kind of suck.” – Junior

“It sets her apart and can be kind of hot.” – Sophomore

Well, there you have it; the boys have spoken. But let’s be real, ladies … we’ll continue rocking the styles we love regardless of what they say. So, until next time, just keeping doing you.

Have a topic or trend you want to see on Bropinions? We would love to hear it, so comment away, collegiettes! Or Tweet your ideas to @HCOhioState and hashtag #bropinions to have it featured on the next Bropinions article!

Photo Credits: http://nfathi.polyvore.com/