Bropinions Defined

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

By Selena Grant

Chances are, you have a good friend who everyone considers “a bro,” or, if you’re anything like I am, you are that bro.  Either way, if you’re friends with a bro, they probably consider you theirs, too.  Why is this significant?  Well, in the grand scheme of things, it really isn’t—but as far as getting opinions from friends, a bropinion can be invaluable.  So what exactly is a “bropinion”?  According to the oh-so-reputable Urban Dictionary, it’s “[a]n opinion shared between two ‘bros’”, hence the name.

A bro is your best friend.  And if they aren’t, they probably should be because bros are the best kind of people.  When a bro gives you advice, you take it.  There’s a reason we follow the Bro Code to a T*.  A bropinion is formulated while thinking about another bro’s best interests.  When such advice is given to girls, it adds another perspective to whatever situation we’ve found ourselves in.  I find that, even as a bro, I often need a second bro’s opinion on many aspects of my life—and I don’t hesitate to ask.  At the risk of sounding like a bad infomercial pushing a product that you really don’t need, you should ask for bropinions, too!  In the same way you’d ask your girlfriends for advice on something, you can ask your bro for advice on anything.  A bropinion is sure not to disappoint, and is almost guaranteed to make you think.

A quick Google search of the word will bring up YouTube videos, blogs, and customized coffee cups.  Most of these links sadly end in disappointment, particularly the videos (all of which I had to turn off less than 1 minute in, they were so terrible).  However, one blog in particular caught my attention, just as it would catch the attention of any lady on the lookout.  This site advertises itself as the place for “Dudes to Discuss Dating,” and while there hasn’t been a post since March of this year, I scanned the site nonetheless, hoping to like what I could find.  I did.  While their lack of commitment to continue got me a little down, as well as the fact that they only have seven posts in total, the humor was witty, the tone conversational, and the insight actually pretty decent.  From answering a letter from a girl who wants to feel more secure in her dating situation to applying the science of marketing to dating, the two contributing bloggers know their stuff and deliver the information in a way that almost makes me forget I’m trying to read away my dating woes.

But I digress.  In the world of advice, know when to consult a bro.  Who knows, the bropinion you get may be just what you need to hear.

To read the blog for yourself, follow the link below.

Dudes Discuss Dating: http://bropinion.blogspot.com/

* – References to the Bro Code are generally made concerning the book written by Barney Stinson, character of popular CBS show How I Met Your Mother and a renowned bro.

Photo source: http://how-i-met-your-mother.wikia.com/wiki/File:Brocode_cover.jpg

Kali Grant is the founding Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for the OSU chapter of Her Campus. Kali is pursuing a B.A. in Public Affairs at the John Glenn School with a minor in Communication and is excited to be in her senior year. Kali is a student research assistant at the Glenn School and is a proud member of the Zeta Alpha chapter of Chi Omega. Kali has spent her collegiate summers interning with The Institute on Women and The Salvation Army and studying Spanish in Buenos Aires, Argentina. When she’s not daydreaming about returning to New Orleans and San Francisco, Kali loves drinking coffee, talking about cats and politics, and trying out questionable vegetarian recipes.