Breaking Down The Social Scene at OSU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

The Ohio State University (OSU)  can be an overwhelming school to come to if you don’t have any idea where to go and what to do! Luckily, there are many places on and off campus that offer many opportunities for a good time.

The Ohio Union Activities Board (OUAB) always has something going on. OUAB hosts Flicks for Free, an array of speakers, and many other exciting events. Check out their Twitter page: @OUAB or on Ohio State’s website: http://ouab.osu.edu/events.aspx.

OSU also holds a fall and a spring involvement fair where you can browse through the many hundreds of different clubs and organizations. See a full list at: http://activities.osu.edu/involvement/student_organizations.

Netflix is something that causes us all to procrastinate (let’s be honest) and well, I for one find I need to walk away from my comfy bed and study somewhere conducive for studying. OSU is filled with awesome places to study and that includes more than its libraries. Thompson library is by far the most popular place to study. It overlooks the beautiful oval, which is especially pretty come fall and spring time. Many students find the Ohio Union to be a warm and welcoming place to go as well. As you start your OSU journey, you will discover nooks and crannies throughout OSU’s campus perfect for studying. Your friends will ask you where you go, but you can keep that to yourself because that is your place to go (like the Architecture Library).

When you are overloaded with information from class, (or rather you still have no idea what your class is about) the weekend finally comes and it is time to hit the bars. If you walk across high street, you will have wondered onto a good portion of OSU’s bar scene. Some noteworthy names include: Too’s, Ethyl & Tank, Out-R-Inn, The O Patio & Pub, The Library, Fourth Street Bar & Grill, Plaza Mexican Bar & Grill, Little Bar, and these are just a few. Each have their own charm. Too’s is well-known for its live music and The O for its fire-pit out on the patio.

The great thing about OSU is that it is located just outside of downtown Columbus. If you head towards downtown, you will find exciting theatres, good eats (like the famous North Market), and cozy ethnic villages (German Village). On lazy Sunday afternoons, the downtown area is the place to be and to explore.   

Looking to see the next production of Cinderella? Reserve tickets at the beautiful Ohio Theatre and be stunned by the intricate designs of a 1928 vintage theatre.

Maybe comedy is more your style? The Palace Theatre has got you covered (although, it shows musicals as well)!

I won’t tell you everything, but leave Columbus for you to explore because what’s the fun in knowing where everything is?

English major at The Ohio State University