Attack on OSU Campus Leaves 11 Injured

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

It was 9:58 a.m., on the first Monday back from Thanksgiving break, when the first of many Buckeye Alerts were sent to students’ and faculties’ phones at OSU.  In a matter of two minutes the “Emergency” text became a “Active Shooter” alert and the protocol “Run Hide Fight” was enacted.  As students and faculty began locking down doors and seeking safety, many were reaching out to loved ones and posting to social media to stay connected with the situation on campus.  Information began circulating, and major news networks began broadcasting varying reports, that caused a sense of unreliability and helplessness, adding to the panic and terror felt by all who were watching the events unfold.  

Referring to reports directly from the University and Columbus police the following has been confirmed; at 9:50 a.m. Abdul Artan, a U.S. resident studying logistics management at OSU, intentionally ran the car he was driving into a crowd of students in front of Watts Hall.  Abdul then began attempting to attack nearby students and faculty with a knife, injuring 11 people.  Within a few minutes of the attack campus police officer, Alan Horujuko, fatally shot Abdul Artan. 

The shelter in place lasted nearly two hours, but the aftermath of the event was felt deeply throughout campus.  There was an eery emptiness that lingered for the remainder of the day, as the remaining classes were canceled and many students returned to their dorms. Monday evening, Ohio State President Dr. Michael V. Drake addressed the press, and the campus community urging individuals to not jump to conclusions and to stand unified with each other as Buckeyes.

“What we want to do is really unify together and support each other; do our best to support those who were injured in their recovery, and then allow the investigation to take place.”

-Dr. Michael V. Drake

Hi, I’m Sophie, but people usually call me Soph. I am a first year at the Ohio State University. I’m really interested in news reporting and using sites like HerCampus to spread information to other curious people. I am passionate about old architecture, mysteries, feminism, and learning about the world. You can follow me on instagram and twitter @sophie_viola_ Lots of Love