Anna Schultz-Blue College Hat
Anna Schultz-Blue College Hat
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

A Year in Recap: What I Learned During My Freshman Year at Ohio State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

As the grueling final week of April bleeds into summer break, I am officially shedding my status as a college freshman. Over the course of the past nine months, I adopted a set of principles to guide my way through the next three years. 

1. Classes

During orientation season prior to fall semester, I suffered the fate of most college freshmen: absolutely no freedom in course selections. I made the mistake of neglecting to research the course requirements for my major and their respective professors; instead, I relied entirely on the words of my academic advisor, and while I was lucky to avoid notoriously difficult or uninteresting classes, I would have felt far more confident going into the semester had I done my research. 

Reviewing the course catalog is an essential step, whether as a means of fulfilling your GE and degree requirements or pursuing a personal interest. Don’t forget to take into account class difficulty; not all credit hours are created equal. Further, Rate My Professor is a good tool to gauge the general atmosphere of the class, but I caution against taking all reviews to heart. Mark consistencies among reviews (i.e. multiple students indicate that the professor is a lenient grader) and take reviews from students with grades on either extreme with a grain of salt; good ratings might be overblown just as bad ratings might be exaggerated. 

2. Clubs

If you are able to balance your classwork and extracurriculars, check out the Student Activities website and Student Involvement Fair (hosted at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters) to expose yourself to the thousands of organizations the campus has to offer. 

Attend the first few meetings of clubs that pique your interest, but don’t feel obligated to continue unless you enjoy them. My personal favorites are Dragon Phoenix Wushu, and naturally, Her Campus – two clubs I never thought I would have the confidence to join in the first place, much less stay for the long ride. You might surprise yourself!

3. Student Activities and Affairs

Keep tabs on your inbox because it will very quickly overflow with emails about discounted (or even free) student life events that might otherwise be lost in your spam folder. 

Flix for Free and D-tix offer discounted screenings of a range of films; if you’re lucky, you might be able to enjoy the full cinema experience on a weekly basis without spending a dime. Beyond the theater, major food events are always a big hit. I still remember the aroma of international cuisine served at Taste of OSU (and thank the stars that I decided to purchase the food tickets beforehand so I didn’t have to wait in the unfathomably long line outside the door).

4. Opportunities

Don’t let your reservations prevent you from taking advantage of the opportunities that come your way! I have become all too familiar with rejection letters from programs I desperately yearned for (I waved a tearful goodbye to the Mock Trial team when I was cut after the interview process). Each rejection gives you insight into potential areas of improvement should you choose to re-apply in the future and provides ample opportunity to polish your writing, interviewing and other skills. On a more optimistic note, remember that a small chance of admittance is far better than none at all. Whether you make it into your desired program or not, your future self will thank you for your efforts. 

5. social life

Everyone deserves a mental health break from the stresses of school and extracurriculars. Reward yourself for your hard work with a weekend out with friends, whether that means venturing out to a huge party or hosting a small get-together. Or, if you’d rather wind down by yourself, enjoy a self-care day from the comfort of your dorm. Don’t feel pressured to engage with social life the “proper” way; it sounds simple, but doing what’s best for you is the best policy. 

If you find that poor mental health is interfering with your day-to-day life, contact your professors for an extension or some time off; do your best to prioritize your long-term health. Also keep in mind the university mental health and support resources available at your disposal. Never be afraid to request a break when you need it – the mental health code exists for a reason!

Michelle Wang is an Ohio State pre-law student majoring in Criminology and History. Beyond academics, her interests include creative writing, Wushu, Korean- and Mandopop and all things history (with a particular fondness for Tudor England). She hopes to share her love for writing in all its mediums!