A Review of TEN’s Debut Album (Spoiler: It’s a 10/10)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

If you’re looking for top-quality music to add to your playlists, you cannot miss out on TEN. 

Born “Ten” Chittaphon Leechaiyapornkul in Bangkok, Thailand, TEN has made waves across the world. Released on Feb. 13, 2024, this self-titled album marks TEN’s official debut as a solo artist. A self-proclaimed “white chameleon,” he explores a new genre in each of his six fully English songs.

For some background, he debuted in the Korean boy group NCT in 2016 with “The 7th Sense.” TEN then went on to be in NCT’s Chinese subunit WayV in 2019 with “Regular” and “Take Off” and the supergroup SuperM in the same year with “Jopping.” He has also released four digital singles since 2017 through the SM Station showcase project. I’m far from a music expert, but the wait for his solo album has been well worth it!

Track 1: “Nightwalker”

I often find myself enjoying the b-sides more than the title track, but TEN could make no better choice than “Nightwalker.” In the music video, he plays the character of the “nightwalker,” a beautiful monster that appears in your dreams after midnight. 

With a heavy, industrial beat and whimsical vocals, TEN weaves powerful movements into the choreography. Toward the tail of the song, the instrumentals take on a chilling tone, encapsulating the unsettling yet playful nature of the “nightwalker.” The pre-chorus and dance break make for a magnificent performance, sure to blow the audience away at his fan conventions in Asia in the coming months. 

Track 2: “Water”

Released in a shortened form a few days before the release of the album alongside its third track, “Water” is a Latin pop song with a catchy guitar sequence.

TEN pulls off sensual songs like no one else (just check out “Birthday”), and “Water” is just that. While he always receives praise for his dance skills — and rightfully so — his vocal prowess comes in full force, especially in the ad-libs. 

Track 3: “Dangerous”

Quite a contrast from the second track, “Dangerous” is a pop-funk song with a dancey beat — a genre TEN has never before tried, yet still masterfully executes. He fills the stage with his backup dancers, switching between several vocal styles in a single song. 

Track 4: ON TEN”

While he originally debuted as the main dancer and rapper of NCT, TEN had yet to release a hip-hop track of his own until he put out “ON TEN.” It features sing-rapping and powerful instrumentals.

I am admittedly not well-versed in the music of this genre, and this track falls a bit short for me. As much as I adore TEN’s discography, the self-praise lyrics in “ON TEN” don’t feel like anything new. Even so, the instrumentals compensate for what I find lacking, making for an enjoyable listen. 

Track 5: Shadow”

One of my top tracks, “Shadow” blends the sultriness of “Water” and the creepiness of “Nightwalker.” It takes on a softer tone than the previous tracks with instrumentals that perfectly complement his airy vocals. 

I’d be lying if I said I didn’t feel a chill jolt down my spine when I heard the chorus and TEN whisper “shadows” for the first time.

Track 6: Lie With You”

Tied for my favorite, “Lie With You” is an easy-listening R&B and soul track. It is a bittersweet love song, a perfect romance with an inevitable end. 

But the lyrics are the selling point for me. Some of my favorite parts are “Got stars in my eyes, light the sky for you” and “If you love me / don’t say you love me” — both make clear the double meaning of ‘lying’ with your partner. 

Now that we’ve gone through every song, be sure to check out the track videos on the official NCT YouTube channel then listen to the full versions on any streaming platform

I know what’ll be topping my Spotify Wrapped this year (and filling my online shopping carts).

Michelle Wang is an Ohio State pre-law student majoring in Criminology and History. Beyond academics, her interests include creative writing, Wushu, Korean- and Mandopop and all things history (with a particular fondness for Tudor England). She hopes to share her love for writing in all its mediums!