6 Steps to Ensure You’re “Rave-Ready”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

The Electronic Dance Music scene (or EDM, as it’s known by its fans) has been taking the country by storm. The dance music produced by these artists is infectious and the concert scene is like no other, so it’s not surprising that Ohio is starting to embrace the trend as well.

Concert venues in downtown Columbus such as The Bluestone, Skully’s in the Short North and the LC Pavilion are slowly bringing in more and more big named EDM artists. Most notable from last year were 3LAU, Excision and the number one DJ in the world, Hardwell. The lineup for this semester is just as incredible. The LC Pavilion just wrapped up its leg of the Life In Color tour, which featured Cash Cash and Borgore. The Bluestone has DJ Carnage scheduled to perform at the end of October and RL Grime and Flosstradamus are set to perform shows later in the year.

Not everyone is familiar with the “rave scene,” as it is still relatively new around here. But have no fear! The best part about EDM is that its music promotes peace, love, unity and respect (or PLUR for short) and is incredibly inclusive to newcomers. So, if you’re about to attend your very first rave and don’t know what to expect, here are 6 steps to ensure that you’ll have an absolute blast no matter what.

1. Brush up on the Artist

If you are attending a show that is only a single DJ, be sure to brush up on their hits. A quick search on SoundCloud or YouTube will guarantee that you are “hip” to their most popular songs and then you’ll recognize them when they’re played on stage. Make sure you also check out some of the music by the opening artists. They’re usually up and coming and if they make it big, you can gloat and say “hey, I saw them open for so-and-so. I knew about them before they were cool.”

One thing that’s different about a rave is that the DJ’s don’t start and stop their songs like normal artists would. They play what are called “sets,” which means nonstop music for an hour and a half. This can be a little overwhelming sometimes, because that means nonstop raving. Don’t worry though. Most DJ’s know how to mix up the energy of their music and usually have sections where the beat’s a little more mellow.

The best thing about these sets is that they’re usually posted on SoundCloud a week or so after the show, so if you caught a song that you liked but can’t put your finger on it, you can go back and re-listen with the guidance of a track-list.

2. How to Dress

Dressing for a rave is very, very different than dressing for a concert. Seasoned veterans of raves usually show up in custom made bras (dubbed “rave bras”) covered in sequins, flowers and whatever else you could possible sew onto a bra. On the bottom, they wear booty shorts that resemble bikini bottoms and sometimes a tutu over them.

Maybe you’ve seen pictures of girls at these events in these next to nothing outfits and it scared you off. Or maybe you’ve been inspired to create your very own rave bra (I’ll admit, I have a few too many in my own closet). Either way, dress in a way that makes you feel comfortable.

The best thing about a rave scene is that there is no judgment. You can show up in the “basic white girl” flower crown and a neon crop top or you can show up in a leotard accompanied by fluffies. Either way, you are there for the music and the experience, and no one is going to judge you for what you wear.

3. Be Prepared to DANCE

EDM shows are usually held in venues that are General Admittance, meaning there aren’t any assigned seats like there would be at Nationwide or the Schott. That means you need to be prepared to be on your feet for 2 hours or more. Make sure you wear comfortable shoes (leave the stilettos at home) and eat a meal that will guarantee you’ll have energy for the entire show.

Some good “pre-rave” snacks that I’ve found effective are apples and peanut butter, almonds and LOTS of water. Hydration is crucial and concert venues know that. That’s why they jack up the prices at the bars. Be sure you drink enough water before the show and if you need a drink during, ask for a CUP of water at the bar instead of a bottle because it’s free!

You also don’t HAVE to be in the front row at any of these shows, unless this is an artist you’ve been dying to see and this is the only time they’ll be in town. It’s all about dancing and moving around and honestly, the closer to the front you are, the more uncomfortable it is, because you have sweaty frat guys pressed up against you trying desperately to get the DJ’s attention (news flash buddy, HE CAN’T SEE YOU! The lights are way too blinding!)

4. Trading Kandi

“What the heck is Kandi?” is probably the first question that popped into your head when you read this step. Kandi is one of the best parts of a rave (and no, unfortunately, it’s not chocolate filled awesomeness). Kandi are those beaded bracelets that you used to make when you were in elementary school. The beads come in a variety of colors, shapes and sizes and you can incorporate beads with letters in order to create bracelets with phrases such as “Swag” and “Yolo”. 

It’s not uncommon to see ravers with Kandi all up and down both of their arms. Some may even posses the skill to create cuffs, necklaces or even face-masks, so get some friends together before the event and have a “Kandi” sesh. The beads and string are pretty inexpensive at any craft store and don’t take that long to make, so your freedom of creativity won’t be suppressed.

“What is the point of Kandi?” is probably the second question you asked. Kandi is a staple at any rave. Not only does it look awesome to have armloads of bracelets, it’s an opportunity to make new friends. Kandi trading is unlike anything else. What happens is a fellow raver will usually approach you and point to your wrist, indicating they would like to trade. Instead of just taking a bracelet off and handing it to your new rave friend, there is a simple four-step process that takes place and embodies the rave credo, PLUR. First, you and your new pal will make a peace sign and touch your fingers together, symbolizing “peace”. Then, you will each make half of a heart and connect it, symbolizing “love”. Afterwards, you will interlock fingers, symbolizing “unity.” Lastly, you will take turns sliding a bracelet off your wrist and onto your now connected rave friends wrist, and she will return the favor. This symbolizes respect. This process is a great way to not only acquire awesome new Kandi, but to make new friends as well! 

5. Don’t Feel Pressured by Drugs and Alcohol

Raves are an incredibly unique experience, but there are always individuals who want to enhance the experience even more. Drugs and alcohol are not uncommon at raves, but they are also twice as dangerous.

Molly is usually the rave drug of choice. It’s a purified form of ecstasy that causes the user to feel a euphoric high, want to dance non-stop and love everyone around them. Sounds pretty fitting for a rave scene right? Wrong. Molly has been the cause of a multitude of injuries and deaths at festivals and even in one instance, shut down the third day of Electric Zoo in New York City.

Molly can also be laced with just about any other drug, most commonly meth. It also gets past security undetected, so if you encounter anyone trying to sell you drugs of any kind at a rave, just say no. First, you don’t know where they came from, and second, you don’t need any of that to “enhance” your experience. The killer light shows, epic beat drops and unbelievable acrobats that accompany the DJ on stage will be more than entertainment enough.

6. Embrace the Rave Family

A Rave Family is the family you get to choose. The people who attend raves are the most open, kind-hearted and fun people that I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting. These strangers can turn into the best kinds of friends because they embody the motto of PLUR.

If you get separated from your friends, have no fear, because the Rave Fam is here! Instead of writing you off as the lost girl and snubbing you, they’ll take you in and either help you find your group, or encourage you to have a blast with them. Making friends outside of the people you came to the show with is a great opportunity to your own Rave Family. It builds the number of people you can come to a show with and is also just an amazing place to meet new people and hearing their stories.

With these 6 steps, you’ll be raving like a pro in no time. So go forth and embrace the music. It’s an experience unlike anything else!