6 Halloween Recipes to Attempt With Your Besties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

It’s that time of year again. The leaves are crunchy, any and all costumes related to “The Purge” have been snatched up from Party City shelves, and spooky season is well underway.

As much as I sometimes wish I could throw on a costume and parade from house to house in search of candy, I’m clearly well past my prime. Just because my trick or treating days are behind me, however, doesn’t mean I should have to miss out on all the good food Halloween has to offer — and neither should you. With COVID-19 limiting Halloween celebration options somewhat, it can’t hurt to settle in with your closest friends and give these recipes a whirl.

Hot Dog Mummies

It’s a simple one, but don’t turn your nose up at it just yet. Made with premade dough, this is an appetizer that comes together in minutes and tastes like every middle school Halloween party you’ve ever been to. An easy-to-make honey mustard dip only adds to the nostalgia.

Recipe courtesy of “Taste of Home.”

Sweet Potato Jack-O-Lanterns

These are a little more time-consuming than the previous recipe, but they’re an excellent option if you’re looking for a group activity. They’re also super customizable. Want to make bat shapes? Ghosts? Spiders, even? They’ll all taste equally delicious after being drenched in butter and rolled in cinnamon-sugar.

Recipe courtesy of “Simply Recipes.”

Ghost Chocolate-Covered Strawberries

Although chocolate-covered strawberries are more often associated with Valentine’s Day than Halloween, these are too cute to pass up. You can make these your own by rolling them in crushed Oreos or giving your ghosts different faces.

Recipe courtesy of “Taste of Home.”

Candy Corn Cupcakes

Although this recipe calls for boxed cake mix, you could get a little fancier and make the batter from scratch if you want to make a project out of it. The recipe recommends gel food coloring over liquid, so pick some up if you want to make these extra vivid.

Recipe courtesy of “The Girl Who Ate Everything.”

Homemade Caramel Apples

Although these don’t inherently have much to do with Halloween, the beauty of these rich caramel apples is that you can customize them however you’d like. You can roll them in crushed graham crackers or nuts to give them a little extra crunch, or arrange sprinkles on the sides to give them faces.

Recipe courtesy of “Sally’s Baking Addiction.”

Sugar Cookies

Sometimes, less is more. In this case, less is the best. Sugar cookies are arguably the best treat to make with your friends because you can make an entire night out of decorating them. Stock up on some Halloween cookie cutters, sprinkles and frosting (or make your own) before sitting down and making these cookies your own.

Recipe courtesy of “Sally’s Baking Addiction”.

Happy Halloween! ?

Tess is a fourth-year at Ohio State. She is majoring in journalism with minors in English, history and political science.