5 Women in K-Pop You Don’t Want to Miss Out On (and Song Recs)!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OSU chapter.

If there’s anything I hate about the transition from summer to fall, it’s the start of the semester and lack of new songs in my playlist to distract myself from school. As a K-pop fanatic going on eight years, I’ve dipped my toes in just about everything the industry has to offer. Here’s a compilation of just five female icons whose music you’ll have on repeat all autumn long!

1. BoA

With over two decades of experience under her belt, BoA stands as one of the most influential and inspirational idols of the first and second generations of K-pop. Given her record-breaking success in her home country as well as overseas in Japan, Jumping BoAs (as she lovingly refers to her fans) rightfully dub her the “Queen of K-pop.”

For a taste of her music, listen to her debut song “ID; Peace B,” her single “Spring Rain” and her most recent title track “Forgive Me.” 

And be sure to check out the rest of her discography on Spotify!

2. Taeyeon

Debuting as the leader and main vocalist of Girls’ Generation (SNSD) – the so-called “Nation’s Girl Group” across South Korea – in 2007, Taeyeon expanded her horizons in the form of a solo debut eight years later. With her fifth mini-album on the way, she and her Taegangers have certainly enjoyed the fruits of her tireless work. 

For a taste of her music, listen to her hit title tracks “Four Seasons” and “INVU” as well as her iconic B-side “LOL.”

3. IU

From 2008 onward, IU has single-handedly made a name for herself as a K-pop idol, lyricist, actress and TV personality despite debuting from a little-known company. Each of her albums explores a distinct subgenre of K-pop, keeping rookie and long-time Uaenas alike on their toes. 

For a taste of her music, listen to her soul-touching ballad “Love Poem,” her fun-loving (with a dark twist) B-side “Black Out” and her smooth jazz track “Between the Lips (50 cm).” 

4. Bibi

Despite debuting only four years ago, Bibi has already flourished in the industry, if the ever-rising number of BiBi Bullets among K-pop fans is anything to go by. Commended for her unique twists on the genre, her company’s decision to allow her such significant artistic freedom has certainly paid off. 

For a taste of her music, listen to her Kill Bill-inspired title track “Animal Farm,” her vengeance-fueled B-side “JOTTO” and her seductive single “Best Lover.”

5. MAMAMOO

We all know K-pop would be incomplete without idol groups – and what better girl group representative than MAMAMOO? Starting off strong with one of the most well-loved debuts in K-pop history, the quartet has launched themselves to the heights of success over the past decade. Regarded for their unparalleled vocal ability and emphasis on women’s empowerment, Moomoos are sure to fall in love with all aspects of the group. 

For a taste of their music, listen to their debut song “Mr. Ambiguous,” their hit title track “Starry Night” and their playful B-side “Cat Fight.” And don’t neglect their solo music either! Solar’s and Hwasa’s respective OSTs “Adrenaline” and “Orbit,” Moonbyul’s “Absence” and Wheein’s “Paraglide” are top-tier introductions to these musical powerhouses. 

And be sure to check out the rest of their discography on Spotify!

Music in all its forms can be therapeutic, especially when you’re hard at work with your studies. If any of these artists piqued your interest, take some time to relax and indulge in your newfound interests! 

Michelle Wang is an Ohio State pre-law student majoring in Criminology and History. Beyond academics, her interests include creative writing, Wushu, Korean- and Mandopop and all things history (with a particular fondness for Tudor England). She hopes to share her love for writing in all its mediums!